• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Kohler 12 RES Installation

Zephyr7

Registered
The scr is
Good now and I’m getting 131-133 volts between L0 and the breaker. I will test exciter voltage this pm, however, when I disconnect my contrived exciter circuit and let the board handle things the voltage goes back down to 55 displayed and
Etween L0 and the breaker. What is oncue? Is there a
Definitive Controller test?
Kinda makes me think this is a controller problem, but as Birken mentioned, the controller is an expansive part. I think it’s in the $600-900 range. I only ever saw one controller failure. The local dealer doesn’t even keep a stock of controllers, maybe only one or two, on the shelf.

OnCue is Kohlers web monitoring system for their residential generators. It’s a nice system to let you remotely monitor basic things (like on generator or not, and excercise runs and failures). It’s basic, but useful — and free to use with their sets. You just need one of the controllers that supports it.

Bill

zaphod

Registered
I can get a controller for $579 so I think that's the route I'm going to take. GM49103 is the part number. I have $690 invested in this unit so it's not going to break the bank - the RDC switch cost more than the generator.

Zephyr7

Registered
Just be sure you’ve ruled out everything else first. You don’t want to just randomly replace parts. You want to make sure you’ve tested and verified each of the following first:
1- field winding
2- brushes and slip rings
3- SCR pack
4- stator
5- associated wiring and any inline fuses
6- DC power supply
7- controller

I think you’ve done 1, 2, and 4. You’ve replaced the SCR pack, but it would be worth testing if someone knows the procedure (I don’t have that info). 5 is easy and you’ve probably done it already. 6 is also easy, just make sure everything that needs 12v DC is getting it while the unit is running. 7 should be your last step because it’s both expensive, and not serviceable yourself (typically), and you have both Birken and myself who have said the controllers tend to not fail often.

Once you’re confident you’ve verified everything is working except the controller, then you can be reasonably confident that ordering a new one is a good next step.

Bill

zaphod

Registered
A generator repair person (who cannot make a house visit as he is too busy) agrees with you both saying the controller probably isn't the issue. He recommends checking the voltage on the sensing wires coming off the alternator (11/44) In the manual it says I should get about 30 VAC out of these. His feeling is a bad connection or broken wire that is not letting the controller know what the output voltage is. It's shutting down after producing 130 VAC. Of course we have a couple of inches of snow today so testing is ojut until it melts. I just hope the power lines can stand the strain.

zaphod

Registered
I'm getting 68 volts from wires 11 and 44 with 51 volts output without 24 volts excitement. It looks as though the voltage regulator bit the dust as the rotor is not getting enough oomph to boost output voltage. Ideas?

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I'm getting 68 volts from wires 11 and 44 with 51 volts output without 24 volts excitement. It looks as though the voltage regulator bit the dust as the rotor is not getting enough oomph to boost output voltage. Ideas?
This statement does not make complete sense.

It is 68 volts or 51 volts?

Are you getting 51 volts 11-44 with 24V on the field?

What are you getting across the main line 1-4 during this time? If you are getting a good voltage there but not 11-44 then the problem is probably just a broken 11 or 44 wire.

zaphod

Registered
I get 68 volts by connecting my meter across 11 and 44 without 24 volts excitement. The display on the controller says 51 volts before the unit shuts down with UU.

Zephyr7

Registered
I get 68 volts by connecting my meter across 11 and 44 without 24 volts excitement. The display on the controller says 51 volts before the unit shuts down with UU.
Are you making that measurement right where leads 11 and 44 connect to the controller? Have you checked to make sure the connections are both secure, and clean?

Bill

zaphod

Registered
I made the measurement by connecting my meter directly to the leads
before they come into the controller; ergo straight from the stator pickups.
The controller won't allow me to go into advanced programming either, after modifying parameters it defaults to "SAVE" is this normal?
:shrug:

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
SAVE is asking you if you want to save your adjustments or discard them. Read more closely in the end of programming document. It could be written more understandably but it is all in there.

zaphod

Registered
I finally got the troops in, charming guy who re checked everything we’ve talked about here. He tried to adapt an external voltag regulator to the panel but could so He determined the problem to be th VR so I’ve ordered a new one. That should fix it. The rotor/ stator/ wiring and general circuitry was declared sano so I’llplug in the new board and get back to yo all. Happy Holidays and see you next year.

zaphod

Registered
The new board doesn't work any better than the last one. Firmware version 1.18 is the only change. I still can't get the board into advanced programming mode: it just jumps to Save after I change a couple of parameters, so I cannot change the engine data (ED) parameter or set the voltage to 12. New SCR, new controller, all the wiring has been gone through, I think it's haunted. Ideas?:confused:

zaphod

Registered
So it must be either the rotor or stator opening upon rotation. Anyone know how to get the rotor out? Or does anyone have the original specs for the unit? The repair guide doesn't say what the programmable values settings are.
Cheers,
Zaphod

zaphod

Registered
I gave up. It turned out to be the stator so I bought another generator which I installed with the new switch and it works perfectly. I have the 12 RES as a potential reserve or available super cheap for anyone who wants to put a new stator in it.
Thanks again for all the help.
Cheers,
Zaphod