• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler 12RMO61 Beast Lister ST3

Viking66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/30/2015
Hey all... I purchased this Basket Case, literally...LOL from the State auction. All in $192.00. I figured it was worth that in scrap if nothing else, but there was no way I was not going to try and resurrect this Beast :crazy::crazy:

It is up and running and producing electricity as it should. Once I got all the parts I needed things went fairly quick for me.

What am I going to do with it you ask? I ask the same thing Hehehehe:D

Here are a few pics, and also the elusive Kohler wiring diagram for it.

The state shop who was responsible for it, and had taken it apart was smart, they put all of the odd and small pieces in the oil sump in the block...I was only 3 nuts short after a full inventory.

Attachments

Last edited:

Viking66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/30/2015
Additional pics and info.

I found that I needed a piston because one of them was broken in the ring and groove area. I was able to obtain one from the UK for $70.00 shipped. It was in great shape. I also needed a full gasket set and I got the from the UK as well. $110.00 shipped.

I was able to find a parts book and the shop manual for the Lister ST3 online and they were a great help, especially the parts book...the key to the puzzle so to speak :clap:

The cylinders just needed a quick slight hone job and they looked amazing.

The seal was leaking in the rear so that got replaced.

The flywheel on this beast has to weight over 100 pounds I swear.

Attachments

nblack

Registered
WoW!! Nice work! I haven't yet found a Lister to tangle with, but would prefer a water cooled version anyhow. HOWEVER!, Yours looks great! Any idea yet what the fuel rate/hr at load will be? Again, nice save!:brows:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Cool! :salute:

I do not yet have a diesel generator set. Some day. :D

Viking66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/30/2015
Thanks guys!!! It is so totally cool to take such a mess and make it sing like it did the day it left the factory.

I forgot to add that it needed Rod Bearings $32.00 for a set of 3 on ebay. Once I removed the Big Bearing rear seal thing I thought I should change that bearing as well, so another $16.00 on ebay....reasonable prices I think. No they were not original Lister parts, but still good quality parts that I am sure will last a long time.

I am thinking that the oil was not checked properly and maybe just signed off when they did the checks. From what I saw of the Rod Bearings 1 and 2 looked like oil starvation...just my thought from working on motors for 40 years :shrug:

As far as Gensets go...if you find a diesel...get it! Running or not they are worth it if the price is reasonable. I think that 90% of them can be revived with some work. I am talking even the ones that are stuck. Heck I took an outboard that flooded in Katrina under 20 foot of water that would not move and made it run again, so the impossible can be accomplished.

Viking66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/30/2015
I did a shake down cruise for an hour the other day. It produces power good. I had 3 1550 watt oil heaters connected and my large air compressor too. It never missed a beat!

I got a bit of an oil leak coming from somewhere in the back so I am going to fix it.

I have the Generator Head off. I have to borrow the 2 1/2" socket and ratchet again, but that should be no big deal.

No exactly sure why or where it is leaking from, but I will find out :D

Viking66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/30/2015
I pulled the Generator head and the big a$$ flywheel and fan. I had all the bolts tight, but noticed that the ones for the main bearing fixture could use more, so I gave them some more tightening.

I plan on running it again tomorrow for an hour after work to see if I got it stopped.

Having worked on this beast I learned that a chain fall really helps when things are heavy and you work alone a lot :D:)

pete p.

Registered
Additional pics and info.

I found that I needed a piston because one of them was broken in the ring and groove area. I was able to obtain one from the UK for $70.00 shipped. It was in great shape. I also needed a full gasket set and I got the from the UK as well. $110.00 shipped.

I was able to find a parts book and the shop manual for the Lister ST3 online and they were a great help, especially the parts book...the key to the puzzle so to speak 👏

The cylinders just needed a quick slight hone job and they looked amazing.

The seal was leaking in the rear so that got replaced.

The flywheel on this beast has to weight over 100 pounds I swear.
Please tell me where in the UK that you obtained the parts for your project. I have a similar machine that I am resurecting. Thanks Pete P. salvage378@aol.com

Colin O

Registered
Great job Viking66 . Awesome unit saved from the scapman. Once they are gone there will never be any more of the same quality.

Colin O