• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Kohler 1A22

Mike Cushway

Registered
GSams,
I owe you a beer!

I bought the unit. Ive been looking for those LP parts for a couple years now. You made my month! PM sent. Mike

Mike Cushway

Registered
Super nice kid who posted the unit. He was willing to remove and will ship the parts I need until I can get out there and get the remainder. I have never actually seen a unit with the intake oiler as this one has. The regulator and bracket were missing. I have a NOS regulator but will continue to search for the correct bracket.

I have my 1A21 on the operating table for a complete rebuild. So far, i have given it a good scrubbing, replaced a rod bearing, adjusted all bearings, honed with new Otto rings, lapped valves, undercut mica, cleaned commutator and slip rings. I am making gaskets now for re-assembly.

Kenny,
From the pics, its a nice very complete unit. Maybe for once I will luck out on excellent internals. I was thrilled that he was willing to remove and ship the parts I need to convert my 1A21 to an LP fired unit. The oiler was an added score for me!

G Sams

Registered
It was believed that valve seats would last longer if lubricated since LPG and natural gas are dry fuels.

Kenny Crenshaw

Registered
So, I guess pre stelite valve seats. I have two of those generators, neither is running. One was nearly complete, one is for parts. They got put on the back burner. May be a while before I get the one running.

G Sams

Registered
I've run my model E many times at full throttle for up to 15 hours at a time for the last 35 years using unleaded gasoline and have never experienced a problem with valve seats. I'm sure stellite valve seats are better but are they really needed? Was oilers just a gimmick?