• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler 1E21H Electric plant

Alfredo

Registered
Hello there. I have an old Kohler power plant that my wife's grandmother wants to sell. I would love to keep it but I just don't have the room. I would like her to get a fair price. What would one of these go for approximately? It hasn't ran in over 30 years but has been stored in garage.

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, that looks like a nice one. I have one, but of course it is a wreck, like most everything I seem to get lol.

Do you have the side panels for it?

Value will vary quite a bit depending on who happens to be looking when and where you are selling.

It will be worth much more if it can be demonstrated to start and run well, generate and have working controls. This plant has a built in automatic transfer switch as well. If it all works as normal, I’d think it could get several hundred at least, maybe more.

In as is condition, assuming it’s not stuck and everything looks to be good, it may get a few hundred.

All just guesses though!

Sure wish I could have a nice one like that, but it isn’t in the cards at this time.

Keith

nblack

Registered
I concur with Keith! That looks like a nice little unit. Location, local interest, and your ability to possibly accommodate a buyer from a longer distance will definitely factor into what the value is. I wish It was close to me, as I am still looking for this vintage unit, but as of yet have not located one in the area around TN.

Alfredo

Registered
Wow, that looks like a nice one. I have one, but of course it is a wreck, like most everything I seem to get lol.

Do you have the side panels for it?

Value will vary quite a bit depending on who happens to be looking when and where you are selling.

It will be worth much more if it can be demonstrated to start and run well, generate and have working controls. This plant has a built in automatic transfer switch as well. If it all works as normal, I’d think it could get several hundred at least, maybe more.

In as is condition, assuming it’s not stuck and everything looks to be good, it may get a few hundred.

All just guesses though!

Sure wish I could have a nice one like that, but it isn’t in the cards at this time.

Keith
It's a very nice one. wish I knew enough about these things to have her let me tinker with it. It's been garage kept the whole time she's owned it. Sadly she never had the side panels.
Thank you for the info. Maybe I can get it going so she can get the most for it.

Alfredo

Alfredo

Registered
Thanks
It's a heavy sucker so who ever wants it would have to come and get it. I wish I could keep it for myself.

Zephyr7

Registered
I bet that could be made to run again without too much trouble. I love the 1200 RPM units!

The enclosure reminds me of a heating oil tank. At first that's what I thought it was :)

Bill

Steve Dawkins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/04/2016
I agree with Bill. It reminds me of a 275 gallon vertical fuel oil tank. Sorry that I can't comment on the value, but it is a cool looking gen set.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Be sure to let us know when you put it up on eBay or Craigslist or whatnot. If the bidding doesn’t get ridiculous I may have a buyer.

Keith

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Hi Alfredo!

Since none of the other guys gave you a clue... ;-}

What you have there, is a US Navy spec version of a Kohler 1E21 1.5kw 110vac generating plant, set up for Emergency service use.

Based on that number, the unit doesn't have 'lots' of power capacity... but if you compare it to any big-box-store generator with similar, or even greater ratings, it will stomp the daisies out from under any portable 'screamer' you'd spend several hundred to half-a-thousand dollars on.... and it'll outlast it, too. At it's full-load 1.5kva rating, it will run basically forever. It will 'start' much more, but unlike modern junk, it doesn't have a 'surge' rating... because it didn't 'need' one.

It appears to be in great shape. Does it turn? pull the dipstick... is there oil down there? Open the radiator cap- do you see coolant?

These are the first things ANY person would look at.

Next, would be to open the control box cover and check the condition of the internal wiring. it will be old... but is it all chewed up by mice?

For comparison, I recently bought a 1A21... same guy, but set up for Automatic starting... a bit more sophisticated in the wiring. I gave $200 for it, and it had clean oil, clean coolant, and turned over nicely, with good compression.

Many guys prefer to use antique generators. Some guys collect antique generators. Most guys that have them, do BOTH.

You won't wanna carry it to a jobsite in your pickup and expect to set it off to the side to recharge your cordless drills, but if you DID... the rest of the guys at the site would LOVE the fact that it's so quiet... they'd barely realize it was there... once their backs recovered from the massive heft.

If you want it, I'd say pay Grandma for it, take it home, go through it carefully, ask lots of questions here, and once you think it's 'right', crank it up. They're truly a gem, and when your power goes out, you'll have internet, TV, and a small microwave available for your next football party.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
If he’s interested in selling, I have a friend that is interested in buying. We’d like to come look at it.

Alfredo, do you have a means of loading it on to a truck?

Keith

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Dave, thanks for putting the scope of this units ability on paper.:salute: And you are correct R&Rs (runners and restorers)will both love this girl!! I do!!!😻

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I don’t really have any spare money or space at the moment, but I’ll know where it is if my friend buys it. :brows: I already have six of the dang things.:crazy:

Keith