• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Kohler 20resc Natural gas

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Good sign.

The Kohler generator 20RESC is a good product. We have put in many of them, and their predecessors, with little difficulty. We load test those we install via a small load bank-to verify gas supply, which is by and large the most problematic portion of the generator install, and is often found to be wanting in flow and capacity.

As an aside, I had a customer who lived off the grid, and over the course of about 10 years put over 5,000 hours on his little air cooled Kohler 12RES, and in the years that we dealt with him, he had nothing other than minor maintenance items as you might expect: a starter, stepper motor, and the like, and of course regular maintenance items.
Our experience also, with the 12-14 and the older 8.5 units.

The 20 is not approved for off-grid use, in case anyone is reading and contemplating. It is a little confusing in the spec sheet.

Zephyr7

Registered
This is good to read. My salesman told me Home Depot sells Generac but drive behind the store to see what they are using.

Kris :)
Hehe, nice :) Lowe’s is a generac dealer too, and in my area the stores have Kohler generators backing up the stores themselves. Not sure what Home Depot has on their stores.

It’s possible oncue is an added-cost extra on all the units. My usual dealer always includes it and I’ve never bothered to check which options they include in the standard package (I know the carb heater is one of them though).

Bill

Power

Registered
Bill- I had to bite the bullet and bring in my dealer ( $$$ ). Even though my machine had Oncue installed my dealer keeps the decal with the activation code on it and I had to buy it. The tech found their is a problem with the cat5e cable that was installed and needs to be troubled shot. I think it is the connectors. Not sure if they were crimped correctly.

Can YOU change it? I would buy a cat 5E or Cat 6 patch cable close to required length.

Wessone

Registered
Not that I am off grid but why is it not approved for it ?

@ Krislu: You can use the generator any way you like, however, the factory warranty is not valid for any machine used other than to back up "regular" commercial power sources.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Not that I am off grid but why is it not approved for it?
Two reasons I know of:

1. EPA approval is an arduous process and costs scads of money for each proposed model so they only test the ones they know are going to be popular. (Anybody that needs 20 kw off grid will be a very high end customer and get a liquid cooled model anyway)

2. The 14 (and the 12 which they still sell) are basically the same as they have ever been, very time tested machines with little to no changes other than the box that they come in. They know they will stand the test of time with the customer and not cause them to hate the manufacturer when piddly things start going wrong all over (not a slam at the 20 but a good reason not to buy any old home standby for off grid use, "because it was cheaper")

Krislu

Registered
Not sure what Home Depot has on their stores.
It's Kohler. I have to say since I got this genny I have been noticing what all of the stores and factories and doctor's buildings have, KOHLER. Haven't seen one commercial building yet with Generac.

It’s possible oncue is an added-cost extra on all the units. My usual dealer always includes it and I’ve never bothered to check which options they include in the standard package (I know the carb heater is one of them though).
Bill
I didn't know there is a cold weather start package for this which the carb heater and that fuel pressure regulator heater are just part of the whole package.

Can YOU change it? I would buy a cat 5E or Cat 6 patch cable close to required length.
The genny is on one side of my house and the router is on the other. I don't think there is a patch cable that long. It took two guys all day to run it. I don't believe the cable is bad. It's got to be the connectors.

Kris:)

@ Krislu: You can use the generator any way you like, however, the factory warranty is not valid for any machine used other than to back up "regular" commercial power sources.
Ok, I thought it was because it is air cooled.

Two reasons I know of:

1. EPA approval is an arduous process and costs scads of money for each proposed model so they only test the ones they know are going to be popular. (Anybody that needs 20 kw off grid will be a very high end customer and get a liquid cooled model anyway)

2. The 14 (and the 12 which they still sell) are basically the same as they have ever been, very time tested machines with little to no changes other than the box that they come in. They know they will stand the test of time with the customer and not cause them to hate the manufacturer when piddly things start going wrong all over (not a slam at the 20 but a good reason not to buy any old home standby for off grid use, "because it was cheaper")
Ok, makes sense.

Zephyr7

Registered
Generac doesn’t have a great reputation in the commerical market. They have excellent marketing in the residential market though, and to give them credit, they did basically create that market. There was very little out there for permanently installed residential gensets before generac came along. Now there are other options, most better and some far better.

The carb heater is a good option if you’re in a cold area. My local dealer includes it as standard on all the units they sell. I question the value of the regulator heater though, and until recently right here on the ‘Stak, I’d never even seen a regulator heater installed on a genset. And I’ve been working in this field for over twenty years.

Bill

Krislu

Registered
Generac doesn’t have a great reputation in the commerical market. They have excellent marketing in the residential market though, and to give them credit, they did basically create that market. There was very little out there for permanently installed residential gensets before generac came along. Now there are other options, most better and some far better.
I believe it. I always see a lot of Generac commercials on tv and Kohler none. I do notice on the tv show This old house the few times a generator is installed on one of their projects it's Kohler.

The carb heater is a good option if you’re in a cold area. My local dealer includes it as standard on all the units they sell. I question the value of the regulator heater though, and until recently right here on the ‘Stak, I’d never even seen a regulator heater installed on a genset. And I’ve been working in this field for over twenty years.
Bill
Thanks to you Bill, I returned the regulator heater and got the carb heater. I think between carb heater and correcting the spark plug gap solved my over crank problem. I mentioned to the last tech who came to my house that I corrected the gap to spec (.030) and he told me that they actually gap the plugs at .020 rather than .030 that it runs better. I told since I corrected it, it runs better less popping. I am not sure if he was trying to cover for the gap out of spec or not.

Zephyr7

Registered
Glad I was able to help you out :)

The gap might have been correct as originally set. Gaps vary for different fuel types sometimes. If you unit runs better with the new gap you set the I’d leave it alone.

Bill