• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler 3A21 Electric Plant

RJ59

Registered
We got the generator running using 24 volts and applying a load. That worked as it should. However it did not produce 115 volts. Without a wiring diagram I am lost. Can anyone help me?

RJ59

Registered
I appreciate your effort but it looks a lot different. I have one switch (high and low) and no gauges. Thanks for trying.

Egeschwill

Registered
Hello I have an old Kohler Motor. Which has a mag. Was wobdering if anybody knows where the timing marks might be on the fly wheel and the mag. Attach is the data plate. How does the rotor come off. Any info would be great. Thans

Attachments

Kohlerallen

Registered
Hello I have an old Kohler Motor. Which has a mag. Was wobdering if anybody knows where the timing marks might be on the fly wheel and the mag. Attach is the data plate. How does the rotor come off. Any info would be great. Thans
Is that a generator with a 4 cylinder engine for power?

Kohlerallen

Registered
Attached are 2 photos of mine, does yours look anything like this20191209_142037.jpg20191209_142049.jpg

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Will's dad's generator has plugs on the top because it's in a later family- the L600/654. It's not a 3A21, it's probably more like a 6.5R23- totally different machine. It's a 60ci flathead, and as long as the valves seat well enough to generate a little compression, some oxygen, fuel, and spark, they'll run.

Will- if your dad has given up, and is selling it, please include location and contact information.

As for timing... when lacking ANY proper resource, one should always fall back on the basics, especially with a magneto:

Remove all spark plugs but ONE. Connect spark plugs to plug wires, and lay the plugs on the engine so that the metal base is in contact with the block or head. Yes, you'll be short one plug. Do without, or grab an extra old plug, or put the wire really close to the head, so it can spark there.

Turn the engine over in proper direction, and feel for compression. bring it around 'till compression is starting.... slowly pull it past top dead center, the magneto impulser will CLACK... look-see which plug/wire sparked. Move that plug wire to the cylinder with plug, mark the wire, and the cylinder accordingly, unthread the plug most of the way. Install another plug, crank the engine around 'till it comes up on compression, pull it slightly past TDC, look for spark, and move, mark that wire and cylinder... loosen that plug most of the way, and repeat 'till you're all out of plugs and wires.

But important to understand BEFORE doing this: The magneto MUST be generating a nice, hot spark. The magneto is a fantastic gadget, and they're incredibly effective as long as they stay dry and clean inside, and get adquate exercise. The breaker contacts must be clean, and properly set so that PHASING of the opening matches the angle of the magneto's rotor, and the IMPULSER ( the thing that clacks) must operate well in order to start best.

If you don't have a well-set-up magneto, you'll fight every other aspect of making it run right. Once you have a well-set-up and hot magneto, you'll find that it'll soldier right through the worst circumstances, run on the worst fuel, with practically no compression, and will start by stepping on the crank slowly three times.

-->I edited this after being corrected by Brother Noel<---- DK ;-)
Firing order on MANY old Kohler inline fours, particularly the Waukesha engines, was done with #1 cylinder at the GENERATOR side of the engine, not the cooling fan/radiator end... (probably because on many of the earliest, there was to cooling-fan end, it was ABOVE the machine).
>---------------------<

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
A 3A21 would be an L600, yes. Kohler used that engine on plants as small as 2 kW on up to the 6-1/2 kW. I have seen 3 or 3-1/2, and 5 as well.

Keith