• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Kohler 5CKM21 - K482EP convert to 240v?

broma345

Registered
Hi all,

I cant find a clear answer, but was wondering if a Kohler 5CKM21 gen, which is a 120v gen could be converted to a 240v. I know on many generators, its a matter of re-wiring the output from the gen regulator, but cant tell if this gen set would work like that.

Thanks for any info!

LWB250

Registered
Probably. Without a generator spec number it can't be determined from the information you've provided.

However, if you remove the rear cover or connection box cover and find four black wires labeled 1 through 4 it can. If it's an older rotating armature set it's possible, but not for sure without knowing more information.

Dan

broma345

Registered
Thanks very much for the reply. The Kohler Engine plate says the Model No is K482EP, Spec No 35243b. On the Kohler Electric Plant plate, it indicates Model 5CKM21, 90140B, 5KW, single phase, 5 KVA, 60 cycles, 120 volt and 41.7 amp.

Thanks,
Mark

Zephyr7

Registered
If the generator can’t be rewired for 120/240 service, you can get old control transformers and use those to get 240v if you need it.

Bill

LWB250

Registered
Thanks very much for the reply. The Kohler Engine plate says the Model No is K482EP, Spec No 35243b. On the Kohler Electric Plant plate, it indicates Model 5CKM21, 90140B, 5KW, single phase, 5 KVA, 60 cycles, 120 volt and 41.7 amp.

Thanks,
Mark
And as I suggested, the way to determine this would be to remove the back cover and look at the output leads. You could use the spec number to get a drawing #248880 from a Kohler distributor, but it would be far easier just to open it up and look...