• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Kohler 5rm62 Should I Buy?

Bloppy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Seems like every winter I get cabin fever and go and find an old generator or diesel engine to keep busy when not at my job. Yesterday I looked at Kohler K662 powered genset, but found out it had been outside for about 15 months in the fabulous Michigan weather. The lady said her husband bought in working condition and then got ill and passed. I liked the fact that it is a 1800 rpm 2 cylinder that runs on propane. After brushing the 6 inches of snow off of it I made sure the engine was not seized,The control cover was in place but not fastened - no signs of mice. I do not usually go after the kohlers(only have had only a L600 5kw before) But finding myself on the fence about this one. So I figured I would ask if you think I would be worth the $50.00 gamble. I know
"No Guts No Glory" Thanks in advance
Jim

Attachments

drumfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2018
For only 50.00 bucks, and propane powered, I would take a gamble. If it was a dud, you could part it out and get your money back, I'm sure.

K-Tron

Registered
She had this generator on the facebook marketplace for $600 about 8 months ago. Lots of folks said that there was no way she would get it. $50 seems about right. Those horizontally opposed Kohlers were not the greatest engine.

Chris

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Sure, as long as the engine is not seized and it has compression, go for it. I picked up a similar 5RM62 last summer for $75. Make sure to replace the selenium rectifier with a modern bridge rectifier. Mine runs great. Just be aware that parts for the k662 are NLA, and if a serious problem with the engine develops consider it disposable.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181040

Bloppy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Thank you guys for your thoughts. I think it needs some wheels like Kevin's unit. I will give myself another night or 2 to think about it.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
For fifty bucks I'd be all over that. I particularly like Kohlers, so long as they're pre-electronic. Built to last, like a brick dog house.