• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Kohler 6.5 old iron

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
I picked up this generator for the taking, I was told it runs and makes power but the end bell bearing is shot. I have not done anything with it yet but will post up progress as I go along. I did a bad job with the pics of the numbers on the tag and I did not write the number down so next time I am at the shop I will get the numbers and post them up.

Attachments

LWB250

Registered
Nice little machine once you get it cleaned up and sorted out. I believe the bearing is a very common part and was used across a lot of the product lines - part number is X-797 if memory serves me correctly - verify that with a parts manual for sure.

Dan

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
Re: Kohler 6.5rm61 old iron

Kohler 6.5RM61
45117b
serial 318809

engine k662ep spec no.33337a

Last edited:

majoday

Registered
I changed the bearing in mine. The housing is aluminum. I manufactured a device to pull the bearing that did not stress the fragile housing. It took me about 4 patient hours. I bought a new one at Texarkana bearing. I also replaced the ends on the throttle and adjusted it.

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
I checked the kohler over today, oil control box was pretty good a newish mouse nest but no damage. I blew it out (with a mask) and sprayed the box down with contact cleaner. Took off the dryer plug the PO must of back fed with it. Cleaned the plugs. Put a small tank on put a little gas in it. So I went and got my big battery I use for the Onan connected it and gave her a whirl. She popped 3-4 times:crazy: then nothing, I pulled the plugs out and it was getting gas, So I clipped a plug on and spun her again...nothing no spark:shrug: I figured the points were dirty so I tried to get the cover off the mag but the bottom right hand screw I could not get too so I have to get a flexable screw driver to get to it. So I put all the othe screws back in and thought I'll spin her again.... Spark!:O right until I put the plug in and then nothing. She's playin with me you little bitc well you know what I mean. Tomorrow another day I'll try then.

wico model x serial 2485d mag, condenser FXH2024

I worked on it this morning, I cleaned the points without taking them out and I got some spark on the points after a bit but not that great and still intermittent . I figured I should pull them out, not a easy task with the mag in place but I have them out and the condenser. The points have a little pit but not bad I can clean them up. The condenser has surface rust on it ,so I think I will replace it. I remember when we were kids Our shop teacher would pass around condensers in class dead ones and charged ones.

Last edited:

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
Called around today looking for a condenser no luck fxh2024 anyone have suggestions?

G Sams

Registered
Go to your local auto parts store and find a condenser that has the same mounting. If necessary, modify the terminal and wire length to match your old condenser and install it. All condensers are rated very similar whether for magneto or battery ignition. It's not rocket science.

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
So it will not start, I tried but the mag is worn, I am not spending a lot of time with this so it is a parts machine now. Pm if interested

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
Ok , this kolher is free for the taking, if you want it it is in Colchester, Ct. PM for directions

EnginePat

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2019
Ok , I guess the scrap yard for this beast. Too bad there's parts on it I'm sure people could use.

Zephyr7

Registered
Ok , I guess the scrap yard for this beast. Too bad there's parts on it I'm sure people could use.
Maybe try parting it out before scrapping it? You can post a list of which good parts you have here on the ‘Stak and you may find some takers.

Bill

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Huh, I missed the post from November offering this up. Scrapping old stuff is a criminal act. I do not scrap anything old, no matter what. I do what ever it takes to find a home for stuff, and if I can't then I keep it until I can.

I wish I was close enough, but alas I am no where near. I wish I could have saved that pallet full of magnetos, but you beat me to them. I hope none of them get scrapped.

Sorry for the rant, but throwing away old stuff is why it gets harder to find old stuff, and thus is a super sore spot with me. :shrug: