• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler 65A23 Choke kit, PN 277469

garys 68

Registered
Anyone got a source for a 65A23 choke kit? The part number is 277469, but that's listed all over the internet as discontinued or obsolete.
The outside black plastic housing on mine is cracked. I can probably glue it temporarily or plastic weld it, but would prefer to find a new one.

garys 68

Registered
Bump, anyone out there know this?
I'll pull the old one off once I winterize in the next few weeks. First plan is to try to modify an electric universal holly type choke. If that wont work, I'll try glue or plastic welding and post results.

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
Gary ... do you know (or can you find out) if the choke plastic cup that you need is the same as the one on my L654 ? Mine is a 7.5 C61 or 2 ... can't remember. But I removed my Automatic choke & installed a Manual kit from NAPA.
You are welcome to my old parts if you can use them.
Glenn
winder@msn.com
304-479-2557

garys 68

Registered
I suspect it is since it's the same motor. Yeah, a manual is an option too.
Do you still have the black "hockey puck" shaped housing with the bimetal coil in it?

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
I suspect it is since it's the same motor. Yeah, a manual is an option too.
Do you still have the black "hockey puck" shaped housing with the bimetal coil in it?
I replied to your email Gary ... but if you don't receive it ... yeh I got a couple of the choke actuators ... send me your address.
G

SalmonBoy

Registered
I replied to your email Gary ... but if you don't receive it ... yeh I got a couple of the choke actuators ... send me your address.
G
Glenn,

i know this is an old thread but I just emailed you about that manual choke kit. It’s not cold here and id rather have a manual choke. Would like to know what kit it was... thx

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
Glenn,

i know this is an old thread but I just emailed you about that manual choke kit. It’s not cold here and id rather have a manual choke. Would like to know what kit it was... thx
Here's the part number from my records.

NAPA 732-1165

Here's a couple shots of my set-up. Not fancy but it works.
I don't remember if I had to modify anything inside of the OEM Choke actuator box.
GenChoke1.jpgGenChoke2.jpg

.GenChoke3.jpg

Last edited:

SalmonBoy

Registered
Here's the part number from my records.

NAPA 732-1165

Here's a couple shots of my set-up. Not fancy but it works.
I don't remember if I had to modify anything inside of the OEM Choke actuator box.
View attachment 386213View attachment 386214

.View attachment 386237
got your email. thx so much. juat to save myself some more headache... do you time your mag to SPK or TDC? and i just got my mag rebuilt but it came back with no yellow mark on the rotor like it always has so the guessing game hasn't been too good too me. with that said, where should that mark have been on the rotor? I attached a basic rotor picture if you can point or put a mark on the pic so i can just put my own mark on it... I wish i had taken a pic of it considering i have start to finish pics on every other repair or service ive done to it just to easily backtrack...

Who cares if that thing is pretty if it gets you the power. i have 2 of them. Bought them both 2 years ago. 1 running, 1 with a blown head gasket but i'm rebuilding it so ill know every inch of these beasts. i will say, on some days, i just wanna trade em both for a newer one. It can wear me out from time to time lol

Attachments

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
got your email. thx so much. juat to save myself some more headache... do you time your mag to SPK or TDC? and i just got my mag rebuilt but it came back with no yellow mark on the rotor like it always has so the guessing game hasn't been too good too me. with that said, where should that mark have been on the rotor? I attached a basic rotor picture if you can point or put a mark on the pic so i can just put my own mark on it... I wish i had taken a pic of it considering i have start to finish pics on every other repair or service ive done to it just to easily backtrack...

Who cares if that thing is pretty if it gets you the power. i have 2 of them. Bought them both 2 years ago. 1 running, 1 with a blown head gasket but i'm rebuilding it so ill know every inch of these beasts. i will say, on some days, i just wanna trade em both for a newer one. It can wear me out from time to time lol
I hope someone else can jump in here & help you with the timing Mike. It's been so long since I fooled with mine I don't remember much about the mag.
I couldn't find any marks at all on my flywheel .. so I actually printed out a degree wheel & fixed it to my front pully ... found TDC on number 1 ... Then put a Pointer off of the front cover .. & timed it all with a timing light ... just like we used to do with a car.

I also have 2 of these units ... but they are both parked now. The one I kept here at home developed a Voltage Regulator problem ... I bought a new $400 one from Florida & fried it on start-up. The one at my mom's Is also parked .. when she bought a 20k Generac Diesel . I picked up a nice 7000 Diesel Kubota that's now standby on my house.
They sure do run sweet ... but I just got tired of dealing with this ethanol gas.

SalmonBoy

Registered
haha thats awesome. I have mine in the hull of a boat and yea i'm tired of gas too but at least its ethanol free. cummins has a new 4500 inverter that burns 3.4 gallons of gasoline in 18 hours with a few years warranty for a grand... i'm starting to lean towards that this year while i tinker with the kohler...

but yes anyone with a simple pic of where the yellow mark is on their mag rotor would be much appreciated!

jack0

Registered

A new rotor won't have any reference marks.
I've always set mine at #1 tdc comp. Proper rotor orientation is key after the gears are intermeshed. Might take a couple of tries.
Fine tune to the spark mark with a light.

The procedure should be in your manual.