• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler 7.5RKM62 Wiring Diagram

angus48

Registered
This is a 6KV unit and has a Kohler opposed twin. The control panel has a rotary three position switch with OFF center motor test left and run right. 12 volt meter and a starter reset switch. It has three mains coming out and five control lines. Unfortunately I have no hookup info on this unit and need some info on how to set this up. Hope someone can help.

LWB250

Registered
This is a 6KV unit and has a Kohler opposed twin. The control panel has a rotary three position switch with OFF center motor test left and run right. 12 volt meter and a starter reset switch. It has three mains coming out and five control lines. Unfortunately I have no hookup info on this unit and need some info on how to set this up. Hope someone can help.
First of all, get the spec number off of the generator nameplate. This is not the engine nameplate, it will say "Kohler" on it and be attached to the side of the generator or on the controller. You'll see a model number of something like "6.0CKM-62" or the like. Below that will be the spec number.

With the spec number you can get a schematic/wiring diagram.

There might also be a nameplate on the controller with a controller number. That can be used to identify the drawings for it as well.

Pull the cover off of the junction box where the mains come out and see which one is tied to the case or frame of the generator if it is. If so, that's your neutral and the other two wires are hot, as in a single phase 120/240V connection. You could potentially have a three phase unit, but that would be very, very rare.

I can't comment on the five control wires you reference, however, if you open the controller and look on the back or bottom of it you'll see a terminal strip with a number of connections. Terminals #3 and #4 are closed to start when the controller switch is in run if it has remote start capabilities.

Pictures would be a great help if you want more information.

Dan

angus48

Registered
Hi I forgot to post picture of the engine plate and sorry about the quality of the pictures but the unit is still in my van I will get it unloaded before the weekend and should have better pics. then.

Thanks

Attachments

Zephyr7

Registered
I spy a selenium rectifier (the right-most of the three pics), you'll likely want to replace that. It's easy to do and there is a lot of info on here for you.

Bill

LWB250

Registered
The line under the model number is a spec number.

I don't have time to look it up right now, but with the spec number you can get a schematic for it.

7.5 kW, Kohler engine, 120/240 single phase running on natural gas or propane.

Dan

angus48

Registered
Hi the spec # is 45358C3.4.14.24. Would anyone be able to point me to a web site that may have a schematic/wiring diagram of this unit any help would really be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I don't think there is a website that has wiring diagrams for Kohler generators, at least available to the general public. You need to contact a Kohler distributor and give them the spec number, and hopefully they will email you a diagram. Follow the instructions on posts 6 & 7 of this FAQ:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47713

I have a list that crosses spec 45358C to model number 7.5RKM62 and diagram number C-245380, but you should give the Spec number and controller number to the Kohler distributor and they will send you the correct wiring diagram.

sandidgec

Registered
I need to replace the selinium control rectifiers on my 102SX magneciter. Is the info on the forum or somewhere else?

LWB250

Registered
I need to replace the selinium control rectifiers on my 102SX magneciter. Is the info on the forum or somewhere else?
"Magneciter" is an Onan term. Are you speaking of a Kohler rotating armature set or an Onan?

Search the forum for "selenium rectifier". You'll find plenty of references.

Essentially, you just need to get a 25A bridge rectifier if it's a Kohler.

Dan