• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Kohler 7.5RM061?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Can't help much, but the serial number comes up as 1969.

"R" means remote start capable, a nice feature.

"M" should mean air cooled. Is that an air cooled Lister Diesel? Others will know for sure. Certainly looks like a diesel- don't see a carburetor. :D

Keith

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
It's a diesel. I'm not sure what kind. Looks like a Lister.

7.5 - 7.5Kw
R - Remote Start
M - air cooled
O - Diesel fuel
61 - 120/240 volts single phase

jack0

Registered
Nice. Lister on the rocker covers. Truly a very rare find. The Holy Grail. If its been covered from the elements, I'd make the guy an offer. These units don't come up very often. Good luck.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Buy it. It'll last another lifetime. Good on fuel but a noisy sucker with all the diesel mechanicals.
A totally reliable unit with no electronic boards or discreet components to fail.

stew00

Registered
What would be a price for it? Running and not running. I have some old Onan generators and am pretty versed on which ones are desirable and their value.. I am new to these old Kohlers...

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
You'll want to replace the selenium rectifier with a silicon rectifier. Extremely cheap insurance (a couple bucks) against ruining the compounding transformer. The selenium rectifier is the only weak link with that generator.

Can't help with the value. If the Lister Diesel ones are uncommon, there are probably not any to compare with. Maybe similar to an Onan DJB, except with a better generator- no electronic AVR waiting to fail.

Keith

jack0

Registered
For what the guy is asking. I would think is a very reasonable price. If it turns over, so much the better. Maybe he'll throw in the trailer. Call him, go do some checks and agree on a price. I wouldn't wait to long. There is no blue book on the Kohler-Lister.

LWB250

Registered
These are built like a brick doghouse. Buy it, it will outlive you if you care for it properly.

Dan

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Well did you drag it home???
Van is right, swap out hat old finned selenium rectifier. They tend to let the magic smoke out in a spectacular way. I replaced it on mine.

stew00

Registered
Well did you drag it home???
Van is right, swap out hat old finned selenium rectifier. They tend to let the magic smoke out in a spectacular way. I replaced it on mine.
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.. Going tomorrow. I will update thread once I see it in person.

Nice to know that you have one though.. If it happens to follow me home I may have some questions

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Typo shoulda said that.
Mine's a 15 kW and not Lister powered although the design/build philosophy was the same in that era.
Take cash, he'll bite on less as he wants to get rid of it.

stew00

Registered
Well I am sure that there will be someone that can help me out if I get it... I am pretty good with the diesel side of things... as long as I get fuel to her it's just suck, squeeze, bang, blow!

jack0

Registered
I was in Lexington 2 weeks ago picking up a Gooseneck trailer. I wish I would have known about this gem. It doesn't look to be in that bad of shape. Nothing that can't be cleaned up or re-engineered if need be. You really made out well. Of all my Kohler Gen sets I have never had any issues with the generator ends besides the usual wear items. Its always been engine related problems from sitting idle for many, many years. Like everyone said. Ditch the Sel. rectifier. Glad you got it and keep us posted.

LWB250

Registered
Looks like someone has gutted the controller. Not a huge deal on this machine, as you can get it back to original (or close enough) with minimal effort. Everything else looks cosmetic. Nice!

Dan

ebl1962

Registered
HI Stew00 i just bought one same model it has 26 origanal hrs on it i was in a mansion in salt lake apparently the owners enlarged and remodel it and needed a larger gen set and sold it to me for 2000 buck still has all the factery tags hanging on it runs like a champ but would like a manual for it so i know how to work on it if ever needed and just to have as much knowledge as i can about it thanks. if you have on or someone else out there has or knows of a way to get it please let me know thanks.
pete.