• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Kohler 80kw fast response

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
although i am not familar with your unit, most generators go from three to single phase with reconnection of the leads. yours looks like it is built in and is as simple as turning the knob in the 3rd picture to the left, one click to the left of off appears to the 120 and two clicks looks to be 220, both singel phase as noted on the control board

everything to the left side is single phase. but dont take my word for it, i am going from a picture.

a better picture of #2 would help me figure this out.

pegasuspinto

Registered
Your unit can do high voltage 3 phase (typically 480) or low voltage 3 phase (typically 240 or 208) but does not appear to have any simple way to do single phase. The knob is just a volt meter select knob to pick which leg the volt and amp meters read. It has NO effect on the output voltage whatsoever.

LWB250

Registered
The studs appear to correspond with the alternator output leads 1-12.

You can get a reconnection drawing for a Fast-Response generator and just "do the math" looking at the connections used for each voltage range.

As for the knob on the meter box, all it does is switch the sensing voltage to the metering. In fact, reconnecting the alternator makes nothing change on the voltmeters, as they're wired across the individual coils.

Dan

Zephyr7

Registered
I just saw this post.

The other posters are correct, the knob is just for the meters. It basically selects what voltage to measure (phase to neutral or phase to phase), and on which of the three phases you want to measure current (amps). It does not change anything regarding output of the generator. The lamps (the “upper” and “lower” meter scales lamps) are set with a jumper on the control board.

All that bolt panel is is a reconnection board configured so as to make basic configuration changes easy and foolproof. You often see these types of arrangements on portable rental generators to make field reconnection quick and easy for people unfamiliar with generator operations.

Any 12 lead generator can be reconfigured for single phase output, but not always at full capacity. Kohler often used what is known as the “zigzag” arrangement which connects the windings in series. The other common arrangement is “double delta” which looks like two triangles connected at one corner, and that corner becomes the neutral. Both configurations are considered standard ways to do it.

You’ll need to identify you generator leads to make the switch to single phase. You probably won’t be able to use the bolt panel alone to do this, you’ll probably need to make up some new jumpers. Aside from that, and some simple changes to the metering and maybe a voltage regulator adjustment, reconfiguring for single phase output is not a big deal.

Bill