• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler Command CV16S won't start backfiring

rrob311

Registered
I have a Scott's mower with this engine. I bought it not running like this. Upon getting a look at it today, it cranks, will not start and occasionally backfires through the intake. I tried starting fluid with no difference. I put a compression tester on it and it has compression. The gauge is not accurate so I don't know how much. So I took the valve cover off and the valves appear to be actuating normally. Is there an ignition issue with these that I can possibly check or do I need to keep looking into the engine. I have more testing equipment but its an hour away.

Mark Fralick

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
I have a Scott's mower with this engine. I bought it not running like this. Upon getting a look at it today, it cranks, will not start and occasionally backfires through the intake. I tried starting fluid with no difference. I put a compression tester on it and it has compression. The gauge is not accurate so I don't know how much. So I took the valve cover off and the valves appear to be actuating normally. Is there an ignition issue with these that I can possibly check or do I need to keep looking into the engine. I have more testing equipment but its an hour away.
I would check the fly wheel key either sheared or almost sheared

rrob311

Registered
Cool, I normally check that with a timing light if there are marks but I guess I will take it apart in the morning. Hopefully thats all it is.

Ogrebeast64

Registered
Make sure that the valve clearance is set properly as well as checking for a sheared/partially sheared flywheel key.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
They use hydraulic lifters, that's why it's important to use the correct wt oil.

GADavis

Registered
Check to see that the valve lifters will bleed down and let the valves close. The lifters are the same as 350 CI Chevrolet engines use.

FlJim

Registered
In my experience with these Kohler Command engines, if the lifters are bad you get bent push rods and it's readily apparent with the valve cover removed. Kohler has had a known problem with some of the older coils and now offers a kit that includes two coils and a new flywheel for around $120. A Kohler shop should also have a coil tester to determine if yours are bad.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
GD, FW and GA are correct. If a heavier oil is used they may pump up and one of two bad things can happen. 1. The valves will hit the piston and bend. 2. The lifters will get pushed through the block scrapping the whole poorly designed thing.

For a grin, find what a short block costs and you'll crap.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
We have one here on a Poulan 25 hp tractor that suffered a similar failure. The new engine for it would be around $1700. You can get a new tractor for just a few bucks more. I need to find a affordable used engine for it as the tractor is well equipped and a Hydro drive. We have a Scotts tractor here with the same engine and it has been a real good one. We mow the 2 farm steads and the field roads for the last 15 years, lots of hours each season, still don't use oil ,but has bent one push rod and had to replace a head gasket once. Not too bad considering the hours we put on each year.