• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Kohler generator 4kW Model# 4AM21

Firegazer

Registered
Hey, I own a Kohler Model 4am21 generator plant. I'm trying to find a wiring schematic for the controller (#0-248670B)on my unit. I'm trying to wire in a remote start/stop switch. So many wires are the same color. Red wires for grounds etc. Some of the items in controller box are stumping me.
One part I need to change. Looks to be a relay. Its the second pix that has part with the name Sigma on it. What is its purpose? Could I use a automotive 40amp relay instead? Will try to attach pixs to help show my task.

Any help from any members would be appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
The "A" in the model number would indicate Automatic, meaning the set will automatically start and stop based on the presence or absence of a load on the line. No separate remote switch necessary. :brows:

However, with the damaged relay, at least some element will not work. I'd be inclined to repair the relay, and only replace if the repair was unsuccessful. Some of the relays are carefully calibrated to operate under specific conditions. This may prove difficult to easily reproduce with a new relay with presumably different characteristics.

It is interesting that the model number has been changed. The "2" would indicate 120 volt, two wire, and would have been 33 amps, but clearly it has been restamped 120/240 volt, which concurs with the "6" that was added...

Keith

LWB250

Registered
The drawing number for your generator and controls is C-248671. Contact one of the legacy distributors listed in the FAQ at the top of the forum and ask for the service department, NOT parts. Ask them nicely for a copy and they should be able to email or fax you a copy.

Dan

Firegazer

Registered
Hey Keith, thank you for the reply. The relay is around $600 Canadian. Haven't been able to find anything different so far.

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply and a direction to head and the number for drawing number. Will be helpful.

Dan, I went into FAQ and did not find anything in there. Search did not come up with anything either? I'm new to the forum so learning each time I get on here. Legacy a company?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
I vaguely recall that one of them is called Buckeye Power Systems? And the other TAW Power Systems? Or something like that. Plug those into your favorite search engine and you may get lucky. :brows:

Keith

Zephyr7

Registered
$600 for a basic relay is crazy!

The relay in that pic doesn’t look like anything all that special. All you need is a normally open SPST relay with the same coil voltage rating and voltage/current rating for the contacts. You might try digikey too as a possible parts source. I don’t think it will be all that difficult to find a suitable replacement part.

The relay in the pic doesn’t look all that bad, either, just a chipped phenolic piece on the top. If the coil isn’t open I’d think you could get it working.

Bill

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
The resistance of the coil and the pickup voltage may be important too as some of the relays have resistors in series with them to calibrate when they pull in. Such as after the engine starts, but not during cranking. Depends on what part of the circuit it's in. But I agree. I would repair that relay. Probably with epoxy.