• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Kohler Generator, Can't ID?

Marine Electric

Hello all, newbie here, thanks for having me.

I'm trying to get an old Kohler Generator going for a friend and I'm having a hard time identifying it. I'd like to find Owners and Parts Manuals and spec particulars.

I believe it is circa 1970, but I could be wrong. Below is the only info/numbers I could glean from the generator itself and 2 pics.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, much appreciated.

-------------------
Kohler Generator "Kohler Electric Plants World-Wide"

Kohler Controller No. B-233258B

Model No. 3CM2B 43513H -- Serial No. 499493

Engine:
Model No. K161EP -- Spec No. 281221j
-----------------

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Attachments

K-Tron

Welcome to the stak, Under the K161EP Spec # 281221J numbers there should be a rectangular sticker about 1/2" tall by 3" long with the serial number of the engine printed on it. If you can provide the serial number of the engine, your unit can be dated. The K161 is a 277cc engine rated 7 hp @ 3600rpm. The 3CM2B is the designation for the generator which is also built by Kohler. "3" indicates that this is a 3 KW generator (3000 watts), "C" designates that it is 12 volt exciter cranked, "M" designates that this unit is air cooled, the "2B" would be a voltage designation - likely 120 volt single phase only. Although this is a 3600rpm generator, it is one of the better ones out there. These smaller Kohler K-series engines are robust and one of only a few small industrial utility engines made which can actually run at this speed for hundreds of hours without issue.

Chris

Marine Electric

Welcome to the stak, Under the K161EP Spec # 281221J numbers there should be a rectangular sticker about 1/2" tall by 3" long with the serial number of the engine printed on it. If you can provide the serial number of the engine, your unit can be dated. The K161 is a 277cc engine rated 7 hp @ 3600rpm. The 3CM2B is the designation for the generator which is also built by Kohler. "3" indicates that this is a 3 KW generator (3000 watts), "C" designates that it is 12 volt exciter cranked, "M" designates that this unit is air cooled, the "2B" would be a voltage designation - likely 120 volt single phase only. Although this is a 3600rpm generator, it is one of the better ones out there. These smaller Kohler K-series engines are robust and one of only a few small industrial utility engines made which can actually run at this speed for hundreds of hours without issue.

Chris
Thanks Chris for that informative response, I really appreciate it. I'll try to get that serial number on my next trip.

Glad to hear that it's a quality machine, it does appear to be very well made. In fact, my friend claims he used it for 2 straight weeks when he was without power during Superstorm Sandy in 2012. He said it performed flawlessly -- so, he literally "ran it hard and put it away wet" and hasn't looked at it until now.

Do you suppose parts are still available for this old gen? Think a parts manual or diagram is floating around anywhere out there on the interwebs? And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't ask "what's it worth" because that's the first thing he'll ask after I tell him I talked to an expert.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

:salute::salute::salute: