• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler l600 Parts...

Well, I'm trying to plan ahead. I haven't picked up my Kohler generator with its L600 engine yet, but I'm assuming the worst.....that is, the main and rod bearings may be toast. Assuming that the crank will have to be ground undersize, I began an internet search for replacements, but with no luck at all. Can anyone suggest a supplier that might have parts available?

Another option.......although it's a stretch........would be to find someone who can re-babbitt the original shells to an undersize.

Things like rings, valves, etc. aren't that hard to substitute through other sources, but bearings are kind of hard to "substitute"!

Last edited:

edisondiamond

Registered
LOL............you're just like me...........spoiled on model T and A part prices!

Wow! $340 just for a carb? Here's what I finally decided on:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335872123&icep_item=282591236767

I was advised by another member that the Cub tractor engine is 60 cubic inches, almost identical to the L600, and at less than 30 bucks you can't get hurt too badly. Besides, it's an updraft like the originals so no elbow needed.

As for rings, I'd just go to Otto Gas Engines. He's a sponsor on here, can provide any ring known to man and has always provided good parts at decent prices.

As for the bearings, I checked after posting and there ARE places that will rebabbitt old shells. No idea what it costs, but if you can't find them anywhere............??

Cory Engines

Registered
Well, I'm trying to plan ahead. I haven't picked up my Kohler generator with its L600 engine yet, but I'm assuming the worst.....that is, the main and rod bearings may be toast. Assuming that the crank will have to be ground undersize, I began an internet search for replacements, but with no luck at all. Can anyone suggest a supplier that might have parts available?

Another option.......although it's a stretch........would be to find someone who can re-babbitt the original shells to an undersize.

Things like rings, valves, etc. aren't that hard to substitute through other sources, but bearings are kind of hard to "substitute"!
coryenginesandparts.com babbitt

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
You’ll want to check your crank first, then the existing bearings, then go from there.

My crank is still good within spec for standard size. My mains and two rod bearings are good. I found one standard rod bearing a few months ago and just ordered the other one today from here: https://aircooledengpts.com/onlinestore/index.php?route=information/contact

Jim (partsman) is a sponsor here and has some bearings available. A really nice guy too.

Keith

Thank you Keith! I knew there had to be an answer out there somewhere...................:)

Cory, thank you also. You just became my "back up plan".

edisondiamond

Registered
I have read some info from a sourse I would trust the there are issues in repouring/boring insert bearings because of fitment after done. What was suggested by the guy I work with is to pour the bearings then line bore them in the block to fit the crank, same with them inserted in the rods.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
I think the old-timer's technique (before INSERTS) was to just re-pour the babbit with the crank in-place, then dress them ever-so-slightly with emory cloth after hand-grooving the lubrication holes... this is how they managed to get good manufacturing precision without lots of machinework..

edisondiamond

Registered
"I think the old-timer's technique (before INSERTS) was to just re-pour the babbit with the crank in-place, then dress them ever-so-slightly with emory cloth after hand-grooving the lubrication holes... this is how they managed to get good manufacturing precision without lots of machinework.."

Maybe for old single cylinders but not for high speed precision motors. There is a lot more to pouring babbitt bearings then using the crank as a pouring mold and emory cloth.

nblack

Registered
Umm at last check, there were no less than three different formulations of babbit material. All for different speeds and loads. My ZXB’s 1200 & 1800 rpm used babbit bearings with shims to allow for wear…