• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Kohler light plant oiler

Joec3113

Registered
Has anyone ever seen this oiler used on a Kohler light plant? Any idea how/where it connects to the engine?

Also anyone know how to take apart the oil filter? Center bolt comes out then does the top part unscrew? Seems obvious but I didnt want to muscle anything off then risk damaging it. Are the oil filters still around or anyone know where to get one? I believe the part is a D1352

Attachments

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
I’m not familiar with that one, but I have heard that they were a popular option back then, to the point that Kohler even offered them on their gaseous fueled sets. Widely considered to have been snake oil today.

An interesting novelty, but I don’t think I’d want to install a working one. The oil will lead to deposits on the intake valves since there is no gasoline to keep them clean.

Same problem occurs with modern direct injection gasoline engines because of the positive crankcase ventilation system. The oil mist deposits on the intake valves. To such a degree that auto manufactures have come out with combination direct and port injection engines.

Love your fleet of Kohlers. Those are my favorite. I have six of them in various states of disrepair.

Keith

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
I have threads on some of them. Some are very rough, just saved ‘em from scrap, and to help me with the others. Someday wanted to move someplace with no power and enjoy them. ;)

I have a poor memory, but I believe that you are correct, remove the large nut (or bolt?) and the lid comes off. Probably a gasket in there? I’m not sure about filter availability. Haven’t gotten that far.

Keith

nblack

Registered
I too, enjoyed your collection of these early units. One of my goals for several years has been to attain an early OHV AC unit. For some reason, out here in East TN, anybody that has one thinks that they have gold. I just will not pay a stupid price just to have one. Maybe someday, I will find one that I consider attainable. Patience has rewarded me with at least one larger, viable 1200 rpm unit.