• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler Light Plant Parts

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
my son is re-doing a 1945 Kohler light plant motor. As of now it has great spark, but no compression, so he tore it sown, and found broken rings. Anyone have a source for rings/gaskets??

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Re: Kholer light plant parts.

Check the sponsor page for Otto Gas Engine works for piston rings.

Be aware that those Kohlers didn't have a lot of compression, even with good valves and rings so don't be surprised after the rebuild. They're only four horsepower and designed for low stress longevity.

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010

Yeah George, we get that, they were low compression motors. It was so low it would fire on number one but nothing else, the mag has huge spark on all cyl. He found broken rings on the pistons. As far as we know it sat in a shed for at least 20 years. Maby that was why....

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018

I have some good pistons and rod bearings if you need any. Bill H.

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010

Thanks guys, It does not have the generator head on it, must have been removed years ago. It is set up with a jackshaft to a water pump, probably to pump from a pond or watering cattle?? My son is going to re-purpose the unit, we just don't know what yet.

49panhead

Registered

Hi we have a 1 1/2 kw kohler d.c. generator 1937 at our cottage. This winter it started knocking bad I need to find a set of connecting rod bearings (crankshaft end) it would be great if anyone knows where I might find a set.

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018

I have a set of rod bearing. How is your crankshaft. I have one of them as well . Bill H.

Attachments

I have some good pistons and rod bearings if you need any. Bill H.
Is there any chance you still have those pistons? I'm rebuilding one of these and one piston was rusted in the cylinder so bad that I broke it in half trying to remove it. I cant find even a used piston anywhere, and I really don't want to have to part the rest out.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

Look in my old posts about kohler generaters, and have a look for A-1 services. They might have a source for pistons.

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
I know it's been a few years, but just recently my son found another light plant, with the generator head. We picked it up two weeks ago. The motor is stuck, but he's soaking it to free it up for disassembly. Between the two, he just might get one running. I hope so!
And a late thanks to Bhoward for the offer of the bearings. Ours look pretty good.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
The last info I have for them: Lee Wright, A-1 Engine services 847-678-5499. his father Ed Wright had many NOS old kohler parts and info. Not sure if he is still on the Stak, he used AOneEngine Not sure if info is current, you might check with Amish Acres here on the Stak- Don Wright as well.