Kohler marine L654 electric fuel pump conversion flooding engine

SalmonBoy

I recently got tired of dealing with the mechanical fuel pump on my Marine L654 and bought the Kohler kit to convert it.. it seems to work great but I can’t get the ratio right on the air/fuel and it’s running rich. The normal carb adjustments in the manual seem to only be good for the mechanical pump. Can anyone advise on leaning this thing out a little? I have the autochoke turned to the lean side but haven’t done much adjusting on the carb.. It’s tough to stand on the swim platform because it’s so rich.

Vanman

Subscriber
I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge. I wonder if the kit included the wrong pump, as in too much pressure and over powering the needle and seat? Doesn't take much pressure to keep the carb full.

Keith

Vanman

Subscriber
I don't have the spec off hand. But I'd imagine 1 psi or even less would be plenty. If it was ~several psi, I might think it was too high.

I had a dune buggy (Corvair engine) that would flood a bit on rough terrain, so I installed a regulator to cut the pressure down to ~1/2 psi, and it worked great! Never starved for fuel, even running flat out on a long hill climb. So doesn't take much pressure to keep the bowl filled. :brows:

Keith