• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Kohler Model D with No Genset Bits

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
I've brought a Kohler inline 4 that looks like a model D but not exactly sure what it is until I pick it up. I've only looked at it for about 2 minutes.
It has not got the generating side of things on it. I know that for sure.
The most I can remember on the outboard side of the crankshaft is the pulley for the cooling fan.
Now here's my question: Do these light plants rely on the armature to act as the flywheel or do they have a flywheel in the general sense like most other engines? I'm picking it up tomorrow so I suppose I could wait until then......but I can't. I'm already thinking what we have sitting in the shed that we can use for a flywheel. :O
Cheers Scott

gootsch

Registered
Re: Kohler model D with no genset bits

I had one years ago without the generator. It had an extended shaft with a belt pulley attached. We used it one fall to run a 36 inch cord wood saw. It worked well then got traded off for another project.

Mike Cushway

Registered

I think the overhung load of a belt pulley would trash the rear main in short order. The crank is like a bent hairpin! No center main either.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Could probably get away with it by using a large single groove pulley mounted right up close to the engine and light belt tension. This way the actual side loading is light (larger pulley means less pull on the belt, and less tension required to avoid slip), and it is as close to the rear main as possible.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

The crank as noted, only has 2 main bearings. The generator armature was supported by a ball bearing in the gen end shell. If you could rig some kind of clutch and drive off the crank straight on, it probably would last a long time. I always wanted to rig one up on a butt buggy! :cool: Problem was engine weight. The total unit weighed in at about 800 pounds including the generater. The engine alone probably takes up 1/2 that. :eek: You also have to remember that the engine has to be fairly level (no hills), and it is low speed - no more than about 2 grand tops. In service they took it up to about 1600 RPM loaded. Personally, I would keep it under 1200 RPM myself.

This is a low compression engine. About 5.5:1 Compression ratio, somewhere around 55 PSI comp. pressure (no spec from factory), approximately 5 HP @ 1200 RPM. 2" bore, 4" stroke x 4 cylinders. Thermosyphon cooling (no pump). Magneto ignition - Eissmann, Wico and American Bosch mags used over the years. No retarder on the mags, timing set at about 15 degrees before TDC Compresion - static. These engines were made for extremely long service, and stood up well to the test of time.

Scotty 2

Registered

Define "brought"

Typo matey. It should be purchased. One thing you've done for me is to make me more conscious of what I write. That is not a bad thing. That is a very good thing indeed. :salute:

I'm so glad there is a flywheel in there. The belt pulley I spoke of earlier is to drive the cooling fan. It's on the side of the flywheel by the looks of the pictures so kindly posted by Mike. You can see the flywheel now that Mike has pointed out that there is a flywheel in there with the fan pulley on the side. I wrongly assumed it was part of the sump casting or something like that.
The engine I purchased :)D) has a crude outrigger bearing on the end of the flimsy crankshaft for support. It should be fine to drive something like a little pump or blower once a nice bearing is made and installed.

About all I noticed missing was the spark plug leads and the spark plugs. What sort of spark plugs should I be looking for?
I've looked at a couple of videos showing these engines running. I'm pretty keen on getting this engine running. They do sound nice. Sadly that'll have to wait a couple of months.
I did find a little snippet about the lighting plant online. It's at the bottom

I purchased another small lighting plant without the lighting plant at the same place. A Matthews (another thread one day). Obviously people over here needed an engine more then they needed lights. Work hard all day, go to sleep when the chooks go to sleep and start working again when the sparrows start farting.

Cheers Scott

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Some minor details:

Cylinders are 2" x 3"

4-1/2 hp @ 1350 rpm, 2 kW, DC plant

3 hp @ 1000 rpm, 1-1/2 kW, DC plant

The AC plant (60 cycles) was also 1-1/2 kW, running @ 1200 rpm.

All used the same engine.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019

I tried a lot of plugs. Had trouble with fouling. Finally learned that the model A ford used the same plug so I joined a model A forum and found they all agree, NGK A-6

I know, it's a resistor plug. I have used them for 4 years about 6 shows a year. They work great.

G Sams

Registered

I've used Champion J-21 plugs exclusively for the last 39 years with excellent success. No fouling whatsoever.

Scotty 2

Registered

I've used Champion J-21 plugs exclusively for the last 39 years with excellent success. No fouling whatsoever.
Hello
Aren't all the Champion J series spark plugs 14mm thread?

Cheers Scott

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Looking at your pics Scotty, looks like there is a flywheel hiding in there below the radiator. Looks also like somebody has built a frame with a ball bearing mount on end of what would be shaft running through armature. That would partially aleviate the side loading issue, though I likewise agree that an inline power takeoff would be better. Something like a "lovejoy" coupling.
Doc

Paul Richardson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020

G'day Scotty,I finally managed to have mine follow me home tonight.
The crank handle,gen shroud and control box surfaced while moving it out of the junk and long grass.

Attachments

Paul Richardson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020

I believe you are right Bill.
I think for me it might be something I can enjoy by messing around getting the motor running?From there I am very happy to have found the control box and the other bits.
If I can manage to get it running I would tidy up the appearance of the missing parts and fit them back to the set to complete it's appearance.
I know how to get spark out of a magneto,but after that I have zero knowledge of the generator part,and I also lack the desire to learn.
I would be very happy however to be able to present the set as complete,and that way I have saved it from the elements,from further damage or misplacement of those important parts.
The next owner might have a better fighting chance of getting it right if I treat it that way?
Scotty will be along shortly to scold me for pinching his thread:O:D

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

The Kohler OHV 4 had many variations with internal parts. They were all similaf but were NOT the asme. letter units A-C and early D had 4 compression rings, no oil ring. Later letter models and the 1-A and 1-M 21s has 3 compression rings and an oil ring. Hp ranged from 4.5 to 5 HP, although Kohler managed to get 20 HP out of the engine until it started eating crnks! They used about 5 different carbs, including one of their own, that was problematic in that it used to ice up at light load Pushrods and valve train componantsalso changed over the years, and Kohler also used I beliee 4 different manetoes as well The generator.engine had to be mounted level, as the con rod big ends wre not pressure lubricated.

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018

Andrew, I have part of an early one that has 2 compression rings and 1 oil ring. The oil ring holds the wrist pin in.

Attachments