• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Kohler Model D with No Genset Bits

Zephyr7

Registered
Re: Kohler model D with no genset bits

Pretty cool! Patents listed from 1908 to 1920.

When was this set made?

Bill

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020

Hard to read the serial number for sure in the photo. What is it? We can look it up with that.

Keith

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018

Hi Keith. Just went out and looked at the plate . It,s B 1647

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020

Hmmm, the chart doesn't have a list for the Model B, but it does state that it was discontinued in 1923.

So... "Early 1920's!" :D

BTW, if you PM me an email address, I can send you the serial number chart. It is only a one page PDF.

Keith

Andrew, I have part of an early one that has 2 compression rings and 1 oil ring. The oil ring holds the wrist pin in.
would you be willing to sell the piston in the photo? i badly need one as i broke one in my light plant trying to remove it.

Scotty 2

Registered

Scotty will be along shortly to scold me for pinching his thread:O:D
Hello Paul.
Why?? All's good when people contribute something worthwhile.
For some reason I've missed the last few posts on this thread. I must of been busy or something. :shrug:
Any more pictures of your set?

Anyways, the Kohler is finally home (as of yesterday) so some investigation into it's condition and what's missing needs to be made.
1 HP per cylinder......what a beauty :D

Cheers Scott
PS: I missed a few thanks. Sadly the thanks button is missing so here is my thanks. Thanks to all. :salute:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Actuaal HP was about 41/2 for the earlier units (A thru C). The D, E and 1A or 1 Ms were about 5 HP, due to better carburetion. Up to the C, kohler made their own carbs, which tended to ice up leading to stalling. When the throttle openned, it would knock off the ice, and the unit would then pick up speed. Later engines used a commercially built carb (Zenith I think), which didnt ice up (bigger bore), and delivered more power.

The name of the game with the 4 cylinder overhead valve engines was smoothness - no voltage ripple, and extreme reliability. As long as you kept oil in the crankcase, and changed it when needed, these units lasted forever! The basic engine design lasted for years - from the teens until the 1950s, the internal changes being minor (rocker and push rod design and after the C model, oil rings on the pistons on later D engines). These engines had LOW compression - about 50 to 60 PSI TOPS! Comp. ratio was in the area of around 5:1. 2"bore, around 4' stroke with about 13/8" head space, they were no racers. it was rumored that kohler experimented with the engine, getting up to about 20 HP out of it before busting cranks, but as these are low speed engines, that much power was totally unnescessary

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Actually they're 2" x 3" engines, but the space above the pistons sure makes it look like a 4" stroke! :brows: