• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler model K91EP has engine

ronny p 148

Registered
This engine starts hard as heck ! Has intermittent spark pull it over and over but when it does start on square I know not Realy good for it but when it does fire it runs great ! Has external points !

Ogrebeast64

Registered
A bit more detail would be helpful. I'd check the ignition timing, clean/gap the points/plug, check flywheel key if applicable, check all kill wires for shorts, and have the coil tested.

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Is it manual pull-start, and what fuel is it running? Most small EPs I've messed with have a bandix-scintilla type magneto, with a (small) magnet ring collar on the crankshaft.. it needs more crank speed as the coil ages, but maybe you can tighten up the gap a little between the coil shoes and magnet ring. The magnets don't have near the speed as a flywheel-mounted magnet.