• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Kohler S800 Electric Plant

ssv54tpp

Registered
Hello, I just recently purchased a S800 electric.pla t that was restored 10 years ago or so and has not been running since. I know I have to clean it up a little. Does anyone have information on how to operate this engine, I have no idea this is new to me. Also how rare is this .I am finding it hard to get any information on it.
thanks

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Welcome! Nice looking plant!

These are Automatic, meaning they will start when a load is detected on the line, and shut down when all load is switched off. I believe they use the same, or virtually the same, controller as a Model D, which I have three of. I also have the manual, and can send you the relevant pages that explain the sequence of operation and include a schematic.

A 24 volt battery is required (ie two 12s in series, etc). A couple of garden tractor batteries should suffice. They can also be hand cranked and run without a battery if need be.

The tall cylinder is the fuel pump. It is powered by manifold vacuum, and must be primed with gasoline before it will work on it's own. It will not pump fuel at cranking speed like a mechanical pump.

The Model S plants seem to be considerably less common than the others like the Model D (1-1/2 kW DC), or the Model 1A21 and similar variants (1-1/2 KVA AC).

It looks like yours was probably built in 1931.

PM an email address and I can send you that literature. Don't put email addresses in the posts as search engines will find them.

Keith

ssv54tpp

Registered
I am hoping to have or try to get it running tomorrow after I clean up the fuel system, and do a once over. I just have no idea at all on how it works.

Does anyone know how to prime one of these fuel pumps?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
From a 1929 Kohler manual, it says to remove the filler plug and fill the vacuum tank with one quart of clean gasoline. Replace and tighten the filler plug carefully. The tank will not function properly if the vacuum is destroyed through an air leak.

I have only one plant equipped with said vacuum tank, and I have not really investigated it. It is my understanding that these were also common on autos of the day, and they operate by applying manifold vacuum to the tank, which is then filled with fuel from the fuel tank. A float valve cuts off the vacuum, and allows the fuel to then gravity flow to the carburetor. When the level reaches a lower limit, the process is repeated. It can be seen that, A) fuel does not flow to the carburetor while fuel is being drawn from the tank (engine runs on what's in the carburetor bowl), and B) fuel cannot be drawn from the tank if the engine manifold vacuum is too low, as would be caused by excessive load.

ssv54tpp

Registered
And we have ignition, it runs. Still need to finish cleaning the fuel system and clean it up a bit . I will take a video and put it on YouTube later today.

ssv54tpp

Registered
Kohlrr S800 Electric Plant

Ok so I lied, well it was running but now I lost spark. I have it from the flywheel so I need to rebuild the distributor as of now. Not to bad just need to order parts.

I figured I would take some more pictures of or now it is cleaned up a bit.

Here we go

Some pamphlets I have.

Attachments

Zephyr7

Registered
Re: Kohlrr S800 Electric Plant

That thing is beautiful! It looks like you just bought it new! Even the paint looks perfect!
You definitely scored big time with that find!

Bill

Newoldstock

Registered
It would be interesting to run the number on those old lighting sets and see what you get for efficiency.

I have a gut feeling they are probably pretty good.

ssv54tpp

Registered
I am sure it is effeciant also, once I get it running correctly and all set up I am just going to let it go for a while . Still have some paint chips to touch up,maybe idk if I will fix them or let them be.

G Sams

Registered
When I was using my Model E and my 1A21 for charging my 144 volt battery bank, they would charge 11 to 12 amps for 13 hours on 5 gallons of gasoline. Considering their low compression ratio, I always thought it was amazing.

ssv54tpp

Registered
So I bought a old factory cart as a different idea for an engine cart, also to hold the batteries and mount a period correct lamp with the pamphlets as a display of everything. I thought this would be different.

Attachments

ssv54tpp

Registered
OK so I replaced the rotor,cap,point and condensor. It ran for a little while kinda rough during to crappy fuel still in some mlm parts and the timing not set yet. I shut it off to do something and now it won't start, it has no spark at the plug wire side. I did nothing to the ignition system. I am stumped now. Anyway here is a short video of it running. https://youtu.be/-K7L3pi9k38

ssv54tpp

Registered
I went to do a little investigating and discovered that the post on which the rotor rests on moves a little up and down, so I pulled it up which raised the rotor and it started. So i ran it for 10 min and it produces electricity, shut it off and now the plugs are fouled. So time to figure out the intake.