• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Kohler S800 Electric Plant

ssv54tpp

Registered
Today did a little digging, and the choker was not working due to there being rubber coating between the contacts ,and the coil inside the choker is broken. So the father in law is rebuilding that for now and soon off to the shunt coil rebuild.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Today did a little digging, and the choker was not working due to there being rubber coating between the contacts ,and the coil inside the choker is broken. So the father in law is rebuilding that for now and soon off to the shunt coil rebuild.
Of coarse it is nice to have everything working, but I run my 1A 21 at shows with the choke coil disconnected. I am starting and stopping it all day so if it is connected it chokes when not needed and starts hard.

I just hand choke it for the first start of the day.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Of coarse it is nice to have everything working, but I run my 1A 21 at shows with the choke coil disconnected. I am starting and stopping it all day so if it is connected it chokes when not needed and starts hard.

I just hand choke it for the first start of the day.
Indeed I recall reading in some manual or other about disconnecting the choker when it is determined unnecessary. It would be nice to have a thermostatic switch in series with it that opens above a certain minimum engine temperature.

The later exhaust manifold mounted bimetallic spring operated choke had to have been a vast improvement. Although these plants still had both! :shrug:

ssv54tpp

Registered
So I have been doing a little work on this recently. I have rebuilt the choker and now it works great. But after running it for a while if i shut it off, it will not start . The plugs are fouled. They are ac c86 . We are getting there just taking our time.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Plugs might be fouling from choking when trying to restart. Or they may need to be a hotter plug. Or mixture might be too rich in general. Hopefully not oil fouling, but even if so, a hotter plug would probably take care of it.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
I run my 1A21 a lot. never made it through a year of shows without fouling plugs. I finally went to work to find the best plugs. I learned that it used the same plugs as a model A Ford. I joined there forum and asked what they use for Model As that are driven regularly. There was no discussion. NGK A-6 Yours is air cooled so you may need something different but it is a place to start.

ssv54tpp

Registered
So i have been running it more and have got it to stop fouling the plugs by adjusting the gap. Now the fuel pump is has stopped working, I am assuming I lost
The vacuum somehow. But all in all it runs great. Once the fuel issue is resolved , off the the shunt coil repair. Thanks again for the help.

ssv54tpp

Registered
Does anyone know about the zenith hf 2 1/2 k carburetor? It is now leaking and was wondering on material for seals, cork gasket material for seals an maybe copper washers for the bolts?

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
really coming along with that model S. happy you were able to get it running. when you get the bugs out, would really like to see a video of that unit in action! great job.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'm not sure about the carburetor, but I do know that Kohler usually had overflow lines connected to them, draining back to the tank. I'm sure this was done to make indoor operation safe. The fuel tank was outside, under ground, a couple feet below the plant.

ssv54tpp

Registered
Yes that is correct, there is an overflow/return line back to the tank from the fuel bowl. I believe I will use copper crush washers for the gilts and cork sheet for the gaskets. That should work. I did find another carburetor on ebay from Denmark, so n bought it as a spare for parts if needed,and just because it is so old not to many out there.

ssv54tpp

Registered
So the carberator is now not leaking, and the engine runs much better. I still can not get the fuel pump to work though. I have gone over every connection and can not figure out why it is not pumping fuel. I do have vacuum coming from the manifold.

ssv54tpp

Registered
Well, I had a new shunt coil made and wired it In the control box. IT WORKS when plug and unplug the small heater. Success.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hard to pin a value on this sort of thing. Most people don't know what to do with direct current, so it's primary appeal is to collectors.

It depends on who's looking when and where you happen to list it for sale. It is a nice looking plant. I have only seen a couple of Model S plants on here.

Keith