• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler / Wisconsin Science Project

Horse Power at 511

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2016
This popped up on my local craigslist and I spotted it. I have no interest, even if it had not been eh modified??
It is about an hour from me and being sold by a well known surplus / industrial equipment dealer. I am temped to go take a look just to observe the fuel system modifications. Could this have been an attempt at building a GEET fuel system? Who knows if it ever worked or was even remotely efficient. I am sure somebody had a good time building it though..

Just thought it was interesting...

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/d/glassboro-custom-vintage-kohler-trailer/6844526584.html

Zephyr7

Registered
Looks to me like someone tried to set it up for heat recovery, The pipe assembly on top looks like a DIY exhaust heat exchanger. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on from the pics though.

Bill

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
That certainly does look odd. It may make more sense in person. Generator is single phase, so that's probably a plus for most people. Would be interesting to study up close. Trying to figure out what the two pipes are going down into the Vee of the engine?

Keith

Zephyr7

Registered
That certainly does look odd. It may make more sense in person. Generator is single phase, so that's probably a plus for most people. Would be interesting to study up close. Trying to figure out what the two pipes are going down into the Vee of the engine?
It looks like water in/out the ends of the block goes down into the engine, exhaust gas comes out in the bigger pipe with the smaller water pipe from the block inside like a DIY heat exchanger. I don’t know why there are valves on what would be the exhaust gas out in that case though (but there are valves on everything so who knows). It’s a plumbers special for sure!

Bill

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
i may be wrong but that looks like a air cooled v4 wisconsin to me. I have no idea what they were trying to pull off.:shrug:

Zephyr7

Registered
i may be wrong but that looks like a air cooled v4 wisconsin to me. I have no idea what they were trying to pull off.:shrug:
Maybe they tried to extract waste heat from the oil? I’ve seen oil coolers on supposedly “air cooled” engines before. I know Kohler has done that on residential gensets before.

Bill

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
:confused: Maybe some sort of woodgas or GEET contraption, with the intake running inside the exhaust.. Never bought into that one, but Mr. Pantone would be proud

Zephyr7

Registered
:confused: Maybe some sort of woodgas or GEET contraption, with the intake running inside the exhaust.. Never bought into that one, but Mr. Pantone would be proud
Can you elaborate? I thought woodgas was usually just injected in the same way as any other gaseous fuel. I’ve been thinking about trying it though, so I’m kinda curious.

Bill

Steve Dawkins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/04/2016
That is a Wisconsin V4 air cooled engine. Normally, the cooling air is drawn in by the fins on the flywheel, and discharges across the cylinders and heads in an upward air flow. This unit looks like it has reverse airflow similar to Onan's Vac-U-Flow cooling. The housing attached to the front of the flywheel housing must have a blower wheel that discharges the hot air across those two vertical cylinders mounted on top of it. I have no idea what they are for.

I used to have a Kohler 10 KW generator very similar to that one. (without the field modifications)

John Dunn

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/04/2009
Maybe a stationary test bed for somebodies 200 mpg carburetor? Back about 1980 there were all kinds of ideas, Pogue carburetors, vaporizer type things. Some used hot coolant to boil gas, or exhaust heat. Smokey Yunick had something working pretty good. I dabbled a bit myself.

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Can you elaborate? I thought woodgas was usually just injected in the same way as any other gaseous fuel. I’ve been thinking about trying it though, so I’m kinda curious.

Bill
A proper woodgas system should have some sort of gas washer stage (maybe the canisters?) and possibly a blower.. The air/fuel mixture usually takes place before entering the carb..

It was just a guess, with all the Tees and valves.. Maybe they were trying to apply GEET methods to producer gas or HHO or who knows what.

That is a Wisconsin, but I'd sure like to see it run before buying it ;) Trailer is worth something :shrug:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I guess you could at least test run the engine with a spray bottle of gasoline. If you could figure out where to squirt it!

Horse Power at 511

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2016
Thanks for the replies guys! If I can think of something I need from the place maybe I will take a ride down there on Saturday and get a good look at it. Fazzio Steel or Fazzios as most in the area know it is strange with pricing their equipment, seems like whoever is unloading the trucks that day decides what they price the items at. There are bargains to be had for sure though!

Back to gen, I think the PVC? elbows pointing down which are attached to the two fluid sights over the cooling are discharge would be the air intakes. There also looks like some small rubber line going to those sights which may have been the liquid fuel supply... I am going to say the two ball valves sticking out sideways with the black tape on them would be the exhaust.
As for the two little plywood panel with the meter / tubing and plastic tank... got me...

ArodaPowerCo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/22/2019
Looks to me like an attempt to build a 200mpg carburetor setup of some sort. Although, if max fuel efficiency is what you're shooting for, that is the WORST engine you could try to do it with. That VG4D is the most efficient way to expend gasoline that I know of. Second only to pouring it on the ground and lighting it on fire.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Looks to me like an attempt to build a 200mpg carburetor setup of some sort. Although, if max fuel efficiency is what you're shooting for, that is the WORST engine you could try to do it with. That VG4D is the most efficient way to expend gasoline that I know of. Second only to pouring it on the ground and lighting it on fire.
You got that right. My extended family has one on a home built monster woodsplitter. Getting wood requires trucks and tractors and all sorts of machinery that is fueled every couple days but that woodsplitter seems to need gas once in the morning and again at lunch time and again in the evening.

RETCPO

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/29/2020
PVC = polyvinyl chloride
PCV = positive crankcase ventilation

G Sams

Registered
You got that right. My extended family has one on a home built monster woodsplitter. Getting wood requires trucks and tractors and all sorts of machinery that is fueled every couple days but that woodsplitter seems to need gas once in the morning and again at lunch time and again in the evening.
Wisconsin engines are very durable and reliable and were popular when gasoline was 27 cents/gallon but not a good choice today.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'd imagine they are low compression like most flatheads. Milling the heads a bit would likely do wonders for economy. They must have originally been expected to run on very low octane fuels....