• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lambert Hoist & Engine Co.

B

Bruce Wambach

Looking for information on steam engines manufactured by the Lambert Hoist & Engine Co. in Newark NJ. The engines are twin cylinder. Tag has been removed, so I do not have any other information other than the fact that the engines were used to raise and lower the doors on the locks and dams along the Ohio river. Any information would be much appreciated.

Bruce

Bruce Wambach

Registered
Lambert Hoist and Engine Company

In the previous post I was seeking information on the Lambert Hoist and Engine Company manufactured in Newark, NJ. I am still seeking information on this company and a twin cylinder engine made by the company. I do have more infomation based on another tag that I found on the engine. The tag reads Dravo Corp and has a number stamped on it. From what I have found, Dravo Corp was in the ship/barge building business in Pittsburgh, PA located on Neville Island along the Ohio river. The engine has a large gear reduction and a bull gear on the output shaft. This is all I know about it and the company. I was able to save it from the scrap yard. Any information on Lambert Hoist and Engine Company or Dravo Corp would be much appreciated.

Bruce in PA

Bruce Wambach

Registered
To all who might be interested, I received two pages of information from the New Jersey Historical Society on the Lambert Hoist & Engine Company. Their records in the Industrial Directory only go back to 1901 for this company which was based in Newark, NJ. The company may have been in business prior to that, but the Historical Society could not validate that. In 1901 they were listed as manufacturers of machinery employing 52 people. From 1906 - 1909 they were list as manufacturers of Engine Derricks and Machinery employing 150 people. Records show that Hoisting engines first appeared in 1912 and continued until 1927. In 1931 they were listed as manufacturing Contractors Equipment and employees dropped to 68 people. Their is no record of this company after 1934. Just to speculate, the company may have gone out of business as a result of the depression given the drop of employees in 1931 from what it was in the mid 20's and the fact that there is no record of its existance in 1934. If anyone would like more information I can fax/email the pages I received from the Historical Society.

Bruce in PA

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
I like to hear about scrap yard finds. Any chance you could post a photo?
Would this have included a boiler mounted with the winch or was that seperate? Does it seem intact, some time things get broken and little parts removed by time one gets a chance to rescue the item.

Bruce Wambach

Registered
Peter,

Astonishingly nothing is broken or even bent on this engine and it is loose!!! Come spring we plan to fire-up the boiler and put some steam to it. Actually my buddy and I have three of these engines. We were lucky enough to save them, as other pumps and engines had already been cut up. We actually tried to buy these engines from the owner of the building/property over a year ago and he promised to call back when he was ready. Well, the call never came and just by chance I happened to see them at a nearby scrap yard close to my place of work. They each weigh around 4500lbs and by the looks of the base were designed to be mounted on a permanent foundation with a steam line plumbed in from a large factory boiler. The engines have been out of service since the 1950's and are in good shape. I have saved some small Briggs engines from the scrap yard, but never anything this big! I do not have a digital camera, but might be able to do a scan.

Bruce