• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lambert hoist engine converted to traction project

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
Congrats. Yea, I can see that. If you can handle all that it takes to build a traction, this looks like a great start. Too bad its not a twin cylinder.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
I started working on this a few months ago so here are some pictures so far. The engine is 6 1/2x8 . A 6hp case portable is 6x8 and a 6hp Nichols is 6x9 so I'm going to call it a 6-18. It has a part # on the guide bar. A post bruce wambach put out a few years ago states they stoped production in 1927 so the year is between 1919 and 1927. This is the barrel I used it is 5/16 seamless and 18" dia.

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
The fire box, crown sheet, flue sheet, wagon top, back head and throat plate are all 3/8. The stays are 3/4''dia. on 4inch pitch. The thru stays are 7/8''. I had to drill 212 holes then counter sink them for weld! After about 8 holes I bought a Chinese mag drill and it was so much better. I put 2 ASME fire plugs in it.

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
That yellow 32 p-u peeping behind the boiler slab has a 392 Chrysler HEMI with a 671 blower.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
I had rims rolled at the local metal shop. I cut a piece of 1/4'' thick by 12'' wide by 151-3/4 long. I squeezed the band together with a ratchet strap because thy did not roll it tight enough to go together. It came out to 48'' diameter. I'm glad my wife is good at math!! Just what I wanted. The front rim is in the picture it's 32'' diameter. I got some bull gears and the differential out of my Uncles Massey Harris 55 parts tractor that look like they will work.

Attachments

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
After about 8 holes I bought a Chinese mag drill and it was so much better.
I could use one of these. I had some very bad luck with Chinese electric power tools. But, with a referal there are some great deals out there. This drill is a tool I had to pay good rental money in the past.

Could you please post a link to the one you found.

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
How long have you been working on your engine? I can see you have been working very hard. My 1/2 scale was about six years but two years were lost to hurricane damage and rebuilding. Do you have any local shows or will you just be playing at home? My nearest show is over 2 hours away so I just play in the yard.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
I'm glad one of the model builders found this thread. Very few people have the skill level you possess. The patterns, cores, castings and machine work is amazing. I made the boiler about 6 months ago. The stuff I'm putting on here now is real time. I'm building it in the basement and I recently retired so the weather and time is no problem, plus I'm "hot" on it now. I'll just play in the yard, although I did put 225# cold water to it. I'll go more when it is done. About that drill, I gave $345 and got it off E bay. Go to blue rock drill on you tube to see the demo. It's OK for hobby use.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
Re: Lambert steam hoist engine converted to traction project

We have rear wheels with gear braces! The engine is going to be a rear mount with a 3'' axel in roller bearings. I had to make a smokstak to put on smokstak. It's made out of well casing and a thick funnel that had the end smashed shut welded to a propane tank bottom put on upside down.:O

Attachments

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
It will be interesting to hear what you came up with for gearing. I see one of the bull gears pictured below.

wagswitte

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2014
Very nice project John can't wait to see it finished keep the picture's coming like to see the progress.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
I found a very rare Lambert smoke box door and ring in my basement.:crazy: after close investigation I found it was made from a address plaque, lath handle, lion head off E bay and 1/4 steel plate . I still think it is authentic enough to use on this project.

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
I had to flip the boiler over to make the front axle pedestal. It's getting heavy. The hoist engine was mounted on a heavy cast iron bed type frame. I transferred the mounting holes to a piece of 3/8'' steel angle iron. I have seen pictures of some early traction engines that had a box frame engine mount, so this should work. I'm glad the smoke stack was not mounted yet.

Attachments

wagswitte

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2014
Looking good John you might have your's done before I get mine finished, keep posting the pic's.This cold weather has put a damper on me plus working 10 hr's at work gets into my fun time.Wag....................

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
The grates are 1" round bar welded to angle. If you tip them up they will drop out the bottom in one piece. If we burn wood and keep the ash pull out I think they will last. I got the holes drilled in the ash pan to mount it.

Attachments

oldironlindy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2016
That is going to be really cool when you are done. What kind of qualifications / cerifications do you need to have to weld a boiler?

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
It varies from State to state. There are people that will build you a ASME S stamp code boiler but there is a waiting list and one this size could be $20,000 and up. My Dad has a 30 Case and has owned many traction engines from a 6 HP portable up to the big 110 #25175 and has over seen my work. That's good enough for me. It probably will never leave the back yard. It will get the paint burned off the smoke box but to me the fun is in the build. Here is the front axel, I gave it a lot of travel cause it might try to run some Huber off the HI block:rolleyes:

Attachments