• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lambert hoist engine converted to traction project

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
I might put a jacket on the cylinder. OK I put in a long day. Took one shim out of the cross head slide after it was installed and it slides good. This engine has the Stevenson valve gear. Part of the linkage was built in the hoist frame but I was able to use it. I had to make a stand to mount it on top of the boiler. The Gaar Scott big 40 has a clear view of this set up on u tube that was used as a guide. I had strings hanging from the floor joist to hold it while using a level and square to tack it together. It is home made looking but I think I can get it better. The Datona 500 was ran today but missed it.

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
Boxed in that valve gear and smoothed up the edges. It looks more like a casting now. Putting on a quadrant shelf seemed to be the next step. I found this old set of wore out bolt cutters at the local antique shop. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Attachments

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
I have some questions about this setup. I marked up the picture below.

1. Is is good idea to use teflon ball valve for hi pressure steam? Seems the traditional setup has been some kind of brass seat gate. I know some modern whislte valves use teflon.

2. That valve looks light for steam. Although i think I can make out 125psi. it seem light for traction duty. They seem they used a lot more brass on the stuff I am used to seeing. What is your planned max pressure?

3. These are all questions and not meant as critical. I have several of those cast iron balls. I have asked and never got a reply on this forum. Mine all come from 15psi heating boilers. Are those ok for high pressure and traction vibration? Used to seeing a pigtail, or special cast bronze traps. cattail has some reproductions.

4. A suggestion. I know a direct connect was typical in the old days (not elbow and nipple though) , but seems a more modern / code approach would be a globe shutoff at every steam nipple.

Attachments

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
1. Is is good idea to use teflon ball valve for hi pressure steam? Seems the traditional setup has been some kind of brass seat gate. I know some modern whislte valves use teflon.
I would have thought this too, but when the Tennessee Valley RR kept having trouble with the starting valves on one of their engine, they installed a ball valve with a Teflon seat, 2" NPT.

On a standard gauge locomotive, you use the injector frequently for short periods of time, and in a day, it would not be unusual to use the ball valve 50-60 times.

It lasted for years, and gave good, trouble-free service, and made a believer out of me and TVRM.

The operating pressure was 205 psi.

David

Dale Miner

Registered
My 1/2 scale has a ball valve for a throttle, and has given trouble free service flr over 30 years. Teflon seats and 150 psi operating pressure.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
Dumped the scrap iron barrel over and found Mower deck spring. Drive shaft u joint cups. Chain saw rivet pliers handle. 2 cold shut chain repair links. Then add bolt cutters and a lambert water meter lid from E bay and you get a reversing quadrant. I'll cut the notches in when I time the valve gear.

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
Well the secrets out now. funny thing is 95% of the general public will think the whole engine is factory.

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
The steam chest has a 1-1/4" inlet so when I saw this governor on E bay a few weeks ago I got it. I'm starting on it now. Its wore out and has parts missing but nothing that cant be fixed. The upper gear was worn on the shaft so bad it would not mesh with the pulley gear. Drilled over size and bushed it was the first step. Early patent date.

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
The governor had some speed adjustment parts missing. Blkbeard your going to like this one. Look what I used for the missing worm. It meshes perfectly. I know most of you gentlemen have guess it. The other end is off a sprung C clamp.

Attachments

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
Very clever. I always enjoy seeing this type of thinking. And it looks right.

JEngines

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2014
I have an original thumbscrew. More than happy to donate to a good cause. Any other governor parts missing?

Attachments

John T Hall

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2014
Thanks for the offer but I think I got it. One side of the leaf spring was gone so I cut some strips out of a hand saw for both sides. We will see how it works when its running but it springs back nice every time with new packing. With a pair of balls this big the engine might try to pull a 40x66 separator. better try a pea huller first.

Attachments

Last edited:

wagswitte

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2014
Looking good John can't wait to see a video of it puffing some smoke and steam keep up the great work.