• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lanz Bulldog model O

Nathan Woodruff

Registered
Hi all

we are currently looking into getting our Lanz Bulldog D3606 sn 660948 36hp model O back up and running again after sitting in the bush for 30 odd years. I would like to find an instruction manual for it and i am sure there will also be some bits and pieces required to get it running again. one thing i am definitely after aswell would be a seat.
if anyone knows anything more about these tractors or has a copy of an instruction manual i could have it would much appreciated.
also is there a Lanz Bulldog register in australia?
regards
Nathan

oldgoat

Email NOT Working
This is the model with the pendulum electric starter. Used to start ours on 20:1 2 stroke mix and change over to diesel. 50% chance of it starting the wrong way. I have a reprint of an operators manual somewhere

Nathan Woodruff

Registered
Yes ours has a pendulum starter which never worked since before pa got the tractor so that would be at least 40 years ago. it was always rocked start and pa would say it is more like %80 of the time it would start backwards which did lead to the tractor going through the shed accidentally about 30 years ago. if you could find the reprint of the manual that would be much appreciated.

reagards
nathan

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Yes ours has a pendulum starter which never worked since before pa got the tractor so that would be at least 40 years ago. it was always rocked start and pa would say it is more like %80 of the time it would start backwards which did lead to the tractor going through the shed accidentally about 30 years ago. if you could find the reprint of the manual that would be much appreciated.

reagards
nathan

Brothers Clemens

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2018
Congrats Nathan,

Wonderful find,
There are not so many Lanz people here on the Stak.

Greatings from Holland,

Chris:wave:

isandian

Registered
Nathan, A worldwide Lanz register is maintained by Andy Watson of UK. He will email you an extract for Australia. His details: watson.andrew@virgin.net, Website www.lanzregister.org.uk. He also has registers of Bulldog variants, in fact most single cylinder types. Ian

---------- Post added at 05:20 ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 ----------

Ian again - checked my extract (several years old) and there are about 27 examples of the D3606 listed, including several in SA, including Ray Berg who may be able to help with parts, even if he no longer has one.

---------- Post added at 05:32 ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 ----------

To the Brothers Clemens - I have been following your story in "The Oily Rag". If you want a little Lanz reading, see my D8506 restoration story at www.cobahcastiron.weebly.com. Ian

lanzalldog

Registered
Hi,
Plough book sales in Australia sell a photocopy of instructions for $30.It covers the D2806 and D3606 models . Yours, if it is an O is D3606.

Good luck finding a seat as they all suffer the same fate. I normally cut out the rust and weld in a patch. Some of the repo ones I have seen are rubbish and far overpriced or fibreglass.

Buy the book which will cover the basics , and do all the checks with oil levels etc and make sure the sump is not full of oil as they run a dry sump and check the governor levers in behind the flywheel to make sure they are not seized. Both if not checked can result with the tractor over reving which will scare the S### out of you and possibly destroy the engine.

There are also a few other things to keep an eye out for such as rusted out oil lines.

Andy Watson runs the register but that is about it.

There are some Lanz part suppliers in Germany that sell parts. Good to deal with and you can send payment using a few methods. I usually use Delegro .They are on ebay in Germany and have a site on the internet also. You can check the local people as a price comparison.

---------- Post added at 05:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

Fuel mix to start is normally a diesel petrol mix around 50/50 or 25 diesel /75 petrol if cold. Starting in reverse could be injector timing but if it does run in reverse they are fairly easy to switch to the right way if everything is set right.

Take your starter to an elderly Auto electrician who was a bit of time and patience. Most of the time they can be repaired with a cleaning of the relays and checking a few wires.