• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Large Engine On Morton? Traction Trucks

RustySteele

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Here`s a postcard I`ve had for a long time, it shows an early tractor belted up to a sawmill. At first I thought it was an early International, but the engine is different, and so is the tractor it is mounted on. Can anybody tell me what the engine is? It looks like there is a flyball governor between the flywheels, and some mechanism on the head. I`m thinking it`s on a Morton traction unit, where you could mount a stationary engine on it to make a tractor, Am I right in this? It`s one of my favorite old engine pictures, and I`d love to find out what it is!

Attachments

Don Blausey

Registered
Definitely a type A Springfield. Thanks for posting such a nice photo. I am not sure what is showing between the flywheels but that is not the governor. Don, I think it qualifies as a self propelled gas engine.

Jeff Wahl

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
Thanks for sharing that neat picture! Roughly what size Springfield engine is it?

RustySteele

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Thanks for the info! I had thought it might be a Springfield with all the mechanism on the head, but I was thinking that the governor was between the flywheels. This would definitely be a nice one to find!

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Thanks for sharing that neat picture! Roughly what size Springfield engine is it?
Springfields were BIG for their HP. I would guess around a 14 HP, it could be bigger though (Jonathan may be close on his estimate). My 2 HP Type A has something like 36 inch flywheels. Compare that to a 2 HP Economy.

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I don't own one, or even a model of one, and my first "LOOK" :uhoh: at the photo, said SPRINGFIELD :brows: all over it :shrug: .