• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Large Marble Panel

GeneratorGus

Registered
Some years ago I got the opportunity to salvage this large set marble panels with Cutter I-T-E breakers from an early textile factory.
Each section is 2'x2'x2" thick marble. The two LargeCutter breakers were slowly being robbed of components, more than likely being scrapped.

The smaller of the two is rather healthy sized 500 amps.
The tag shows the details.
Last picture is the adjustable ampere setting. I have no idea why it adjusts up to 750 amps.

(Continued next post)

Attachments

GeneratorGus

Registered
Continued from last post, is a page from one of the old electrical books in my library of old electrical stuff.

Interesting to me is I always thought I-T-E was a brand name not a type of equipment. Cutter Co. produced them as well as, I'm sure, many other models/sizes of this style equipment.

I will soon post more pics of some of the other ITE items in my collection.

GUS

Forgot to mention, I believe the dates on the tags are not the approx. year the panel set was originally installed. If you notice in the close up pics in my first two posts that there are a extra holes in those two sections of the panel is it appears that these breakers were an upgrade that was done to the setup at a later date.
I would like to have seen the original set.

Attachments

Last edited:

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Thanks for posting them. They are great. I suggest connecting some wiring to one of them. For safety feed 24 volts to them, and use one to control a relay to turn lights or something in the shop on and off. Just for fun.

Radiomike

Registered
Nice piece of electrical history The contacts look to be copper and the arcing tips carbon compound.
We had very similar breakers for the DC excitation on some 150MW generators. Testing the overload devices was always problematic. In the end we bought a 5000Amp DC test set so we could inject the overloads to check their operation.
Mike

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
Thanks for posting them. They are great. I suggest connecting some wiring to one of them. For safety feed 24 volts to them, and use one to control a relay to turn lights or something in the shop on and off. Just for fun.
Oh, and then run some dummy leads over to a visitor chair.

GeneratorGus

Registered
Sorry to say, I really don't see putting power to it anytime in the near future.
I set it up in my tractor shed, which is, and will stay, without electricity.

Because I'm somewhat of a hoarder (I seem to find some value in old junk, don't know why, I just do) I set it up in the shed because there was no vacancies in any of my other stashing places.

Mechanically the breakers are in good condition, just missing some of the contacts.