• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Large Single Cylinder Wisconsin

John Schwiebert

Registered
A boy in school told me about the large one cylinder Wisconsin they took to the scrap. I seen it today but could not get close to it as I had my good clothes on. It is approximately 3 feet tall!. Never saw a single cylinder Wisconsin that large! Anybody have any ideas as to model horse power, age,etc. More detail toward the end of week weather permitting. Thanks for all replies.

Jimmy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2009
It was probably an AH or an AHH. They were the largest single cylinder Wisconsin engines that were produced, rated at about 9.2 hp. According to asecc.com, the bore and stroke of the engine was 3-5/8 x 4. That was the largest bore and stroke Wisconsin they made (apart from their 4 cylinder models). Following the pattern of Wisconsin engine design, the shroud would have been massive to fit around the rather large flywheel, and the sump would add another extra 6 inches. But those engines ran good and strong. I'm sure that if you got the engine, it would only take a little work to get it put-puttering again. They never wore out, at least according to people I've talked with and my experiences.

John Schwiebert

Registered
I have an AE I think. This engine would melt down and make 5 or 6 of them. The cylinder is proably 6 inches in diameter. This looks more like a 1 cylinder version of the multicylinder engines found in old Cletracs.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Are you sure it's a Wisconsin? I have a late model New-Way engine that looks just like a giant Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Arlie Levy

Registered
I have the AHH and it is a real nice engine. They are a heavy beast. The one I have runs great. I have not found anything to belt it to. If you need any help with it let me know. Arlie

Bud Tierney

Registered
Saw your post, and looked thru my stuff, which doesn't have much on Wisc air cooled, and didn't find any 1Cyl "B" listed...
But did notice that the old water cooled B's, all 4Cyl, went up to 51/2 per some catalogs...
The original B was 41/4 or 43/4, depending on the listing.
The B1 and B2 were apparently 51/4.
The B3 is listed as both 51/4 and 51/2.
There're more, incl BS2 51/4 and BS3 51/2...all these water cooled "B's" seemed to be 61/2 stroke.
I wonder if your "B" might've been some 1Cyl made using some of the old water cooled B's components???
I don't have when Wisc started building AC, but I understand they shut down the water cooled in 1939 or so.
Always fun trying to run down the oddities!!

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
Did it look like this? This is an AHH, the AGH & AFH look identical. They all look like a giant AEH (or ADH). They are 29" tall unless they have a gear reduction that hangs down below the mounting feet.

Attachments

S

Sky

Right off i would say AHH becouse the AHH was the largest single cylinder wisconsin made in that era. If it's even bigger then what Zira dimonstraited then it's not a wisconsin.

Jimmy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/16/2009
Pictures of this mystery engine would be an immense help.

John Schwiebert

Registered
I saw the engine today and it is a model AGH and thre is a reduction unit on it. What can you tell me about this model? I have not checked anything else yet. Thanks in advance.

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Here are minimal specs for a Wisconsin Model AGH:
3-1/2" Bore x 4" Stroke
8.4 hp @ 2200 rpm
Made from 1941 - 1957

Last edited: