• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Large Zenith Up-Draft Help!

tharper

Registered
Hi folks,

We are working to bring a 1928, 8 ton Lombard Dump truck back to life after a twenty year slumber.

Today Paul torn into the carb which is a large zenith updraft.
One of the floats is apparently homemade and the other is cracked.

Unfortunately we do not have a model number - there is only a "77" stamped above the Zenith logo.

Here are some specs.

Vintage 1928

Throat measure just shy of 2"

Its on a Hercules YXC-2

Attached are some photos and one of the beast its attached too.

Does anyone know what the model would be?

Is there a source for parts etc?

Thanks!

Terry

Attachments

mmcdonald

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2017
Re: Large Zenith up-draft help!

It is a model 77. Parts were obsolete from Zenith back in the 40's or 50's unless it happened to be a part used on a different model. It had an actual spec number but in a quick look I couldn't deduce what it might be. Possible we might have a few pieces for it or "thecarburetorshop" as mentioned might but some of it will have to be fabricated probably. If you get some similarly sized float bodies and solder them on the original arm so the bottom of them is the same geometrical position of the original it will work fine(as long as it doesn't drag, and don't use any more solder than necessary). I've attached the parts plate in case it's any use to you. Good luck.

Attachments

tharper

Registered
Re: Large Zenith up-draft help!

Thank you so much! Most appreciated! Paul gave it a good cleaning yesterday (things were fairly plugged-up) and repaired the cracked float so at least we can get the beast mobile until we can fabricate or find new floats.

Tomorrow I am heading down and we will see if we can get the beast to breath on its own.

Have a great 4th!

Best regards,
Terry

tharper

Registered

K-Tron

Registered
Awesome job getting that old Hercules back up and running. It sounds like it is running pretty good. The governor sounds like it is working good too. I love how the engine starts to bark when put in gear. Paul must have been just thrilled to drive that Lombard for the first time! What an awesome project. You just might have to change the name of the museum to Lombard Land!

Chris