• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lauson LW water cooled marine engine

Tractor Pete

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/29/2018
Here is one of my winter restoration projects. This is a Lauson LW marine engine from about 1935. I have owned this engine for many years now but never attempted to get it running. I am posting some pics because I am conflicted on the restoration process. I have started by removing the first layer of grey paint and have it down to the original green paint below. Not sure if I want to go further and take it all off or stop now and just put a clear over it to protect it. Feel free to send me your thoughts....
Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

Mike in NC

Last Subscription Date
05/13/2009
I would apply boiled linseed oil/turpentine mix (50%/50%) and leave it at that. One problem with applying any paint is the chance of the under coat lifting or wrinkling.

That is a neat engine!!

RustyRelics

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
I would leave it original as well. I have a couple different variations of the LW and have never seen that oil pump before,nor that exact tag.That's a keeper for sure!!! Carl

Tractor Pete

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/29/2018
Thanks for the input. Not finding much traces of paint on the head or flywheel but I think a light sanding with scotch bright will make a nice even surface for a boiled oil or a non sheen clear.
FYI.
The pump on the left of the base is a water pump which is driven off the cam which is also a new one for me. Usually the cam drives a gear style brass pump.

Peter

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I agree with Mike, I use boiled linseed mixed 50-50 with mineral spirits on all of my original engines. It brings back the original paint nicely and stays shiny a long time. I used clear on a mogul engine once and it worked but I prefer linseed oil.