• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Lauson Restoration

53Lau6hp

Registered
I have a 6HP Mel#T653N. 1953
I'm in the process of restoring itis. It will not shift in and out of gear. Has anyone encounter this problem? A parts breakdown would also help.
It. Is missing the gas cap and lower rear scowling. If anyone knows where I can obtain one please let me know. Thanx in advance

The Engineer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
Re: Lauson

look on ebay I have a parts book I found for the sportking twin for a reasonable price

Steve A W

Registered

53Lau6hp
Sorry I can't help you, the only thing I know for sure about Lauson
outboards is don't run them without the lower shroud because they
will over heat and cook the seals.
If you don't get the info you need here go to the Antique Outboard
Motor Collectors club website and ask on the "Ask A Member" forum.
http://aomci.org/
Someone there will get you some answers.
Good luck with your motor.

Steve A W

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2019

Hello "53 lauson" guy. On behalf of the Antique Outboard motor Club I'll offer what knowledge I have about your motor. First , double check your model number, is it a T653 R. The R designates the F-N-R shift model. That model was a rather rare two year model. I understand that Lauson soon abandoned the expensive and troublesome F-N-R gear shift and settled on a simpler F-N "declutching" arrangement. If your's is an "N" it may be that later model. In any case I have an original owners/ parts manual that I will be happy to copy and send you, for just the copy and postage costs. PM me for more info and contact. I have a restored and running T653 R and yes don't run your motor with out the lower shrouds as it may overheat. Finding parts, especially the shrouds will be a challenge... best hope is to hook up with guys at your local chapter of the AOMCI.

Regards,
Joe B

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
JoeCB:
I have a few of these Lauson twin OBs. Two complete and one parts donor.
One tale I have heard is that the mag coils will cook and melt if you run the engine slow for extended periods of time. Not enough air moving to keep things cool. Have you heard this? Is it true?
Will have to dig them out and see what models they are. Don't recall any of them having any kind of clutch or gear selector.

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2019
Well several that I have seen, including the one that I restored showed signs of melted pitch from the coils overheating. Could be from extended low speed running I suppose or could also be from folks removing the lower cowls mistakenly thinking that this will improve the cooling... or a combination of both.:bonk:

Joe B

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I was able to look at all 3 of my Lauson OBs. They all are missing the lower cowls.
The 2 (otherwise) complete units are:
T-600 S/N T496046
T-651 S/N 6434
and the parts unit is a:
T-650 S/N 11515
None have a suffix in the Model number and none have a clutch or gear shift.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
At low idling speeds (trolling), these engines do make a lot of heat! Make sure the exhausts are not restricted. Keep cooling fins clear of debris and gunk (oil and grease), and make sure all shrouding is in place. using updated, modern coils may help with the cooking issue.
Andrew

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2019
Well I wonder what happened to the OP'er . I offered help and so far no response. As for ignition coils on these 6 HP lausons there is a story. The mag is an Eisermann 62-D and it tales a coil with a floating ( un- grounded) secondary , the Maytag twin coils work. Also can retrofit the John Deere pony motor coil, but requires shaving down the armature laminations.

Joe B

promobile

Registered
Just bought one myself for restoration and having the same problem. I'm new into this hobby and this is my first outboard. Mine is the T651R. From what I'm gathering on the internet they look like the same motor only different years. I saw in one of the other posts JoeCB had a parts book and schematic for these motors. That would make things so much easier.

---------- Post added at 07:59:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52:58 AM ----------

Hey Joe I'm new into this hobby of restoring old outboards and just picked up a Lauson T651R with the same problem. Could you extend the offer of a parts book for me also. This would make things a lot easier. Let me know I'd be happy to pay for it!

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
If enough people need the lower shrouds, perhaps you could pool your resources and have new ones made. if enough people ned them, the price will come down to a reasonable cost.