• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Le Roi D176

Wardbrook

Registered
I just picked up a Le Roi power unit it’s a D176P3 with a Rockford PTO. I got it at an auction that was mostly a hit and miss collection. No one there was much interested in the non hit and miss stuff and I got it for $50. I know nothing about it but it does seem to be complete and appears to have fairly recently run. Someone recently replumbed the fuel lines and it had a pretty new starting battery on it. Anyway I’m going to pick it up tomorrow and see if I can get it to run. I’d like to use it to power my old Belsaw M14 sawmill but I figured even if it’s junk for $50 the Rockford pto is worth that by itself.

Does anyone know anything about these motors what does it make for power I found only one website referencing it which said 45hp at 2000rpm does this sound about right?

dkamp

eMail NOT Working

Wardbrook

Registered
I believe the 176 designation is 176 cubic inches. There is very little information on the web about these but from what I have found I believe it’s a bored down version of the 201ci engine found in some Allis Chalmers tractors of the day. 221 being 4.0x4.0 square motor and the 176 being 3.75x4.0” I believe they shared a crank (and possibly most other parts except pistons and cylinders?)

Bud Tierney

Registered
Down at the bottom of this page are a few related threads, and more'll come up on Search, I'm sure...
They'll include earlier discussions re' how alike (or not) these engines are...
You might also try contacting Ed Malcom "The LeRoi Man", who posted here regularly for years, but I don't know if he's still active in the hobby (obsession?)...

Wardbrook

Registered
Picked up the unit today and was able to talk to the previous owner, he had it up and running 4 years ago when it was running a shingle mill, it has been put away in his barn since then. He gave me the original manual which states it has 42hp. He said it originally ran on a crane of some sort. The manual is dated 1952. It is still in the back of my truck but I will get it unloaded tomorrow morning and hopefully have some time to try and get it running maybe middle of next week.