• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Lets see some picture's of small steam engine's.

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Got any pics of small stationary or marine steam ? Need a steam fix :) Here some of mine or pics I have collected. Some pics courtesy of this site or Ebay.

Attachments

MFaris

Registered
Great idea for a thread!
Here's my submission for you consideration:

Rochester Machine Works, 3x3-ish twin cylinder, single acting marine engine, utilizing Westinghouse patent rocking valves with a Stephenson Link valve gear.

20200330_090717.jpg20200330_090711.jpg20200330_090704.jpg
20200330_090745.jpg
20200330_090754.jpg

This engine is completely untouched with a fair amount of original paint, and is a really nice running engine!

Rochester built a self contained safety engine/boiler for stationary applications called the ACME. It utilized an identical engine minus the Stephenson Link. I assume my engine was part of an ACME setup designed for a small steam launch, however i have no proof of that. There are at least three standard ACME engines that I'm aware of, one of which complete with its boiler. I'd love to know if any other marine ACME's exist!

unnamed.jpg

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Hi Nathan. I wish I did. Whatever it is..it is very rare and small at that. Whenever I see an unusual design or one that strike's my fancy I save the pic. Wish I could be of more help. Maybe someone here will chime in.

First pic is a small one I rebuilt.

Attachments