• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Lets see some picture's of small steam engine's.

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Alright Jake. You're not going to get off THAT easy ! Details on these pic's you've posted, at least what you can share :)

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
Here is the largest Sipp engine. It is the 1 HP. it is 20" H. with a 12" flywheel. It is a rare engine and I was told that there only 5 or 6 known. Sipp shows a twin 1 HP = 2HP in their catalog , but I have never seen one. Ron
Did they make a 1hp horizontal?

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
JBoogie I have a repo copy of the Sipp catalog. There are engines in the catalog that are not Sipp engines. These engines are , The two HP Yacht engine , The 1/4 HP center crank engine , The Weed gas engine , The Locomotive. There is a reference under Marine castings in sets to a 1Hp horizontal. That is the Weed horizontal and vertical steam engines. So my answer is that Sipp did not make a 1 HP horizontal steam engine. Ron

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Here is another rare engine. I have never seen another one like it. It is a walking beam engine of the grasshopper type. It has a vertical beam. What is left of the paint indicates that it is very very old. It has a 12" dia flywheel and wood lagged cylinder. Ron ***** If any of you are wondering and I'll bet some are , all of the engines that I am showing belong to me and reside in my house*****

Attachments

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
04/15/2020
Ronald,
Did you ever go to the Newcomen Society of the United States in Exton, before it closed? They had a neat model of a Newcomen engine. They had some cool displays.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Mike I live about 3 miles from the Newcomen museum and visited several times. When I found out that they were closing , I tried to buy a couple of items , but they would only sell as a lot , somewhere around $100,000. I didn't have that much extra pocket money. I believe that was the year 2000. Everything was shipped to Christies South Kensington and was auctioned off April 5 2001. There were 44 lots. There were 4 lots that didn't sell 2, 3, 24, 35. although I think that deals were made and sold after the sale. I think that Charlie C. bought a lot of the stuff. Total sold including premium GBP 118,463. I did not buy anything. Ron

Attachments

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
04/15/2020
What part of West Chester do you live in or do you live in West Whitlend? As I remember the museum was in Uwchlan township. I was born and raised in West Bradford. I used to read electric and natural gas meters for PECO and the Newcomen museum was one of my stops. It is a shame that it closed.