• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Lets see some picture's of small steam engine's.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
In the front is a well made cutaway model of a Corliss engine. It was made complete with the drop offs to close the intake valves. When I got it there was no governor , so I made one to operate the drop offs. Here is how the Corliss system works. When you turn the crank slow , the valves stay open for the whole cycle. The faster you turn it the governor causes the drop off to work sooner to turn off the intake , and faster will get to a point where the valves do not open at all. In back is a Creators Peanut engine. Ron

Attachments

Andrew Sine

Registered
Great idea for a thread!
Here's my submission for you consideration:

Rochester Machine Works, 3x3-ish twin cylinder, single acting marine engine, utilizing Westinghouse patent rocking valves with a Stephenson Link valve gear.

This engine is completely untouched with a fair amount of original paint, and is a really nice running engine!

Rochester built a self contained safety engine/boiler for stationary applications called the ACME. It utilized an identical engine minus the Stephenson Link. I assume my engine was part of an ACME setup designed for a small steam launch, however i have no proof of that. There are at least three standard ACME engines that I'm aware of, one of which complete with its boiler. I'd love to know if any other marine ACME's exist!

View attachment 387495
Here is a Rochester/ACME engine I found sitting in a rotted wood shipping crate in the woods. It's also complete, with the boiler and accessories and fittings. It is missing the outer shell and boiler top hat, so I have to make those.IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0538.JPG