• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Lincolin 250G, low weld power

Phil25

Registered
Evening: A bit long winded but enough info to get er done?Neighbors machine, and he left the welding leads connected while using it as a genset for the house...while it rained big time.
So at present, the outlet power side works, idle control works, and a arc can be struck with any rod or current setting, and engine speed ramps up accordingly.
But there is no power to maintain the arc... got the 42vac on the rotor circuit, 4.8 ohms of rotor resistance, slip rings polished, rectifier removed and diodes checked, on the 3 phase input to the rectifier, and i get 65vac across any two phases.
The OCV on the leads is 57vdc at high idle/30 odd at low). This brings me to a 300 amp module between the rectifier and the lead outputs, which i can read the 95 vdc from the rectifier W4 and W6 cabling, but leads W8 and W9, output of this module i get "zero" voltage.
This board is controlled by a circuit board of course, is there a way to trick this module to produce an output? assuming it is the problem.
I really don't know what this module operates and is controlled, so any info is appreciated, or any further tests that can be done.
Tks

Mikey NY

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2016
not sure about this particular welder but some of the older ones use several dc capacitors to "smooth the arc". One bad cap will reduce the ability to control intensity of the arc. Those capacitors a VERY expensive if bought from the original manufacturer, but dirt cheap if bought from an electronics supplier.