• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Lincoln MIG Welder

Chad

Registered
hey guys, i recently bought me a mig welder, it is a lincoln 140 hd.
it is suppose to be able to plug straight into any 110 outlet.
well this is true to a degree, after i weld for about 2 or 3 inches it trips the braker. i am welding with the flux core wire set on 3 heat and about 4 wire speed, welding nothing no more than sheet metal. i got a 20 amp breaker.
do you think i need to step it up to a 30 amp breaker with 10 gauge wire?
please guys tell me what you think about this.

K D Redd

In Memory Of
Check the data plate on the welder for it's max input current. If itis 30 amp, yes you will need 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp breaker. If you are some distance from you breaker box, you will need heavier wire to lessen the voltage drop when pulling 30 amps.

Kent

pegasuspinto

Registered
I've done quite a bit of welding with one of those welders-they will weld about anything on a 20 amp circuit, and only at odd times did the welding get intense (plate or some kinda heavy welding) to trip the breaker. I would bet your problem is either your breaker is weak and tripping early, or that circuit has something else on it already. If you swap to a 30 amp circuit, you need to also change the cordset on the welder-if you look on the back, I believe the cord is held on by a screw, and it can be removed and a 30 amp style cord put in it's place, and use a 30 amp rated outlet. A standard 3 prong outlet is only good to 15 amps.

Robert

Chad

Registered
if it is true that i got a weak breaker then all ten circuits in my shop are on week breakers. cause i have tried a different circuit every time, and when i use that circuit i make sure nothing else is on. an with that said all i got is four recepticals on a 20 amp circuit. i am at lost ends. i am not sure what you are talking about on the back of the machine. i looked and really dont see what you talking about.

thanks for you'll help

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
You might have enough breaker, but not heavy enough wire to carry the amps drawn through. I've seen that happen too.

butch vollmar

Registered
I have a Lincoln weld pac 100, fore runner to yours,and I have to use a heavy Ext cord (30A)with it when using flux core wire. I have found that if you use heavy wire, I mean over .030 I have problems, as it takes more juce to lite the wire. I would advise talking to a good Lincoln rep. Maybe he can help you and it shouldn't cost you anything for the info. Thats what they are there for. I hope this helps you out. Butch