• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Lincwelder DC 180 AS

Colin O

Registered
I had been looking for one of these welders for about 2 years and finally found one. The lady was selling it for $350.00. We tried to start it but no luck. I offered her $250.00 and we settled at $275.00. When I got it home I checked the point gap which was way out. Cleaned and regapped and it fired right up. After welding for a while the output stopped. Checked the resistors and noticed that the spot weld on one had broken. Drilled a hole and bolted together and it works great. My plan is to clean and paint like Rider 5 did. I have the operators manual but any other info would be great. Min has the Wisconsin THD and dates to 1959.

Colin

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
Very nice result with your welder there Colin O.
you could try using the usual auction sites for your decals by typing in Lincoln Welder Decals and see where it takes you.
Also if you have photos of the originals you can have a print shop make them for you. Even be bold enough to contact Lincoln and ask.

Colin O

Registered
I was able to source the decals. Spent a little more than I wanted to but I like the final look.
I am having a little issue with hard starting after the unit is hot and was wondering if this would have anything to do with the condenser needing replacement. Anyone have a similar issue? It starts on the 3 third or 4th crank when cold but after running for a while hard to restart. Also there is the odd misfire while running. Seems to run smoother at higher rpm then idle.

Attachments

Railroads

Registered
Did you check the valve clearances? Might need to lap the valves and get the seats cut. Condenser would usually cause the points to pit and fail from excessive arcing. It's possible a new set of points and condenser would solve the problem.

Robert

cobbadog

Registered
So many little things can cause hard to start hot and or cold.
As suggested valve seating or adjustments, fuel supply not getting to the carby, carby adjustments or blockages, lazy coil and or condnesor, HT lead and spark plug.
Always start with the simplest and least expensive. Test that your HT lead is a wire core and not a carbon lead. Try another spark plug. Check fuel supply and clean the carby. If it has an air mixture screw try adjusting that taking note of the position it is in now as a referenace point. Replace the condensor and clean and gap the points then consider another coil.

rider5

Registered
That is an awesome looking job on your welder. I hadn't checked in to the forum for a bit so I did not see it sooner. As far as your Nicad resister breaking at the spot weld, that has always been a bit of a weak spot on this type welder according to Bob Crow from Lincoln Electric Troubleshooting. So the bolt together should be a permanent fix. As to the starting you got some good ideas already, but you might check your compression as that will give you an idea as to your valves without pulling the head. If you are using the welder much, I had an idea about adding a 10 ohm rheostat wired into my shunt coil circuit to allow me to tweak the welding amps a bit without having to readjust my throttle. I added it on the outside as a bolt on without have to make any permanent changes to the welder. It seems to work, but I haven't done much welding with it as yet. And again, nice job on your welder.:)

Colin O

Registered
Thanks for the response rider 5. Seeing your completed DC 180 AS motivated me to purchase mine. I think your idea of adding the rheostat is very good. I happen to have one from a lincwelder 225 that I took apart. My problem is I am not sure if I want to keep it all original. I have another fan housing with a starter bracket and an original starter so I thought about adding a starter as well. Something about keeping it all original stops me from doing it. I weld mostly as a hobby and have 5 other engine driven welders in working condition and a sixth that I am working on currently. Finding these old machines in non working order and getting them back into shape has become almost a mission for me. I have been looking for a Lincwelder DC 250 AS for quite a while now. This would probably complete my collection. Maybe?? Lol.
Once again thanks for the positive feedback.

Colin o

Thanks for the response rider 5. Seeing your completed DC 180 AS motivated me to purchase mine. I think your idea of adding the rheostat is very good. I happen to have one from a lincwelder 225 that I took apart. My problem is I am not sure if I want to keep it all original. I have another fan housing with a starter bracket and an original starter so I thought about adding a starter as well. Something about keeping it all original stops me from doing it. I weld mostly as a hobby and have 5 other engine driven welders in working condition and a sixth that I am working on currently. Finding these old machines in non working order and getting them back into shape has become almost a mission for me. I have been looking for a Lincwelder DC 250 AS for quite a while now. This would probably complete my collection. Maybe?? Lol.
Once again thanks for the positive feedback.

Colin o

Attachments

My black machine looks a little different now than in the picture I ditched the muffler have a straight pipe now sounds much better doesn't leak and I found an original oil bath filter for a bigger engine that I side mounted on the engine shroud the small motor is used to start the welder when I first got it it wouldn't hand crank so I got the motor to start it has a pully on shaft it will hand crank now but motor is much more reliable way to start it makes hot starting much easier

Last edited:

Colin O

Registered
Thanks for the tip. Would you believe there was one in Michigan last year for $75.00. It was complete but not running but someone beat me to it.

Good job on yours. Looks like you got it for a good price if you didn't have to spend to much on it.

Colin O