• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Line boring machine. Who made it?

edisondiamond

Registered
I posted this in a couple of other areas here but have gotten no feedback, a few views but nothing else. So I will try here.
One has a drive pulley, what looks like a removable holder for a shell bearing, cutting tool and a feed on the end then a small diameter shaft out of that and ball knob on end. The other one(lower one) is almost the same but no pulley mounted. The cutting tool is missing and different end castings. Looks to have fluid drive feed. I can't find any names etc on them and we are thinking could have had a decal or name on a base unit. I would say they are about 3 foot long and the bar is about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" in diameter in the work area. The top one looks to have brass/bronze chips on the underside by the hole and babbitt chips under the covers that were over the shafts which I took off to see what was under them. The handle on the feed cylinder has a spring loaded piston inside with two holes that line up with the runners on top of the casting. There is a piston inside and wide space thread inside the bore. Update on above. I filled one of the cylinder with hydraulic oil and setup in my lathe. It is self feed. The handle on top is the on/off and there is a valve on the other side (cant see in photos, it's at the base of the tower part) that must control feed rate. So I now have an idea how they work and just need the "WHO" made them part. Anyone?
Thanks

DSCN0089.JPGDSCN0090.JPGDSCN0092.JPGDSCN0094.JPGDSCN0097.JPGDSCN0100.JPG

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/07/2018
When you google it there sure are lots of homemade ones. KR Wilson was proud of their stuff. It’s not them.
Hempy-Cooper?
Otherwise, I’m out.

edisondiamond

Registered
Just want to be clear, I am talking about the link int Nathan's post above in this post. Tom got one of the pouring jigs that is different but the same idea as shown. The boring machine shown might be a Lempco (Could be Tobin-Arp?), I think I have seen it doing a google search. Same idea as the one I have. I had/have some of the plates, but they got mixed up in some other stuff that went to Tom's house and have not been located yet.
Right now I am thinking about using some of the part in conjunction with my KR Wilson Model T line boring frame to do T blocks.

Last edited:

edisondiamond

Registered
The Lempco shown is a block line boring frame the can ether be used with a drill motor or hand crank. While there is maybe some color similarities, this one is fluid drive and different frame work. So far the only numbers I have found are witness numbers for the legs to mount on the correct sides to frame. The bump on the top for the fluid reservoir is the fill hole plug not a casting mark.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/07/2018
My next suggestion would be to spend lots of time (possibly) searching Google Books.
The picture quality isn’t always the best but they have copied ancient trade journals. Your machine will be found in the correct trade journal. 1940s?
Google Books is amazing. I found the only known photo of the rock crusher that used to sit in Sycamore Canyon of San Dimas, CA one hundred years ago. Their historical society had searched in vain for a picture.