• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Lister HA4 engine with 25 kVA generator

Rodalco

Registered
Hello, from Titirangi, West-Auckland, New Zealand
Just joined this great forum yesterday, very interesting topics and a wealth of knowledge here.
Since about 6 weeks I have acquired a Lister HA 4 diesel generator, ex NZ Post Office to be used as a standby generator for our house. This Thursday 13 Dec. I managed to shift the machine to its permanent position on two concrete slabs. The added bonus is that I have three Phase power available as well. I am an electrician by trade and will help others out with advice where I can. Look forward to be a part in this SmokStak community.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hello and welcome! If I'm not mistaken, I recognize you from your many entertaining videos on Youtube. :wave:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Welcome to STAK...…. :)

I moved your question to the appropriate forum.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I am an electrician by trade and will help others out with advice where I can. Look forward to be a part in this SmokStak community.
I have always been curious how the power system operates in foreign countries.

Can you explain or link to a page that shows the NZ power system?

The way I understand it you have a transformer on a pole that supplies 2 wires only, 230 +/- volts, one of them solidly grounded, correct? And everything runs on 230?

Rodalco

Registered
Hello and welcome! If I'm not mistaken, I recognize you from your many entertaining videos on Youtube. :wave:
That is correct, I am on YouTube doing electrical video's under Rodalco2007. You can see this Lister generator running there as well.

I have always been curious how the power system operates in foreign countries.

Can you explain or link to a page that shows the NZ power system?

The way I understand it you have a transformer on a pole that supplies 2 wires only, 230 +/- volts, one of them solidly grounded, correct? And everything runs on 230?
The normal system in New Zealand is 230/400 or 240/415 Volts 50 Hertz in cities and suburbs. Most houses are connected to a single phase supply 63 or 80 Amps. Some houses are on 230/400 2 phase supply (usually the other phase is used for an 8 kW electric spa pool heater on a controlled tariff.) Commercial buildings and larges houses have a 3 Phase 230/400 supply.

In remote rural area's we use a SWER (Single Wire Earth Return) system, where a single HV line supplies transformers at 6.6 or 11 or 19 kV and the HV return is via the ground. The transformer LV output is 2 x 230 / 460 Volts or 230 - 0 -230 Volts with the Neutral grounded.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
So does every house have 400+ volts 3 wire service of some type, or does the "normal" house have only 2 wire 230 service only?

How do the larger appliances handle a range of 400-460 volts? Taps or do they just make them that broad range?

Rodalco

Registered
So does every house have 400+ volts 3 wire service of some type, or does the "normal" house have only 2 wire 230 service only?

How do the larger appliances handle a range of 400-460 volts? Taps or do they just make them that broad range?
Most houses have single phase 230 Volts
The 400 and 460 Volts supplies are used for electric motors (waterpumps, shops etc).
Most domestic appliances are rated for 220-240 Volts range.

Merv C

Registered
Welcome to the Stak from another Kiwi. You are right, there is a lot of good stuff here. I have learnt a lot over the years
There is a 29 KVA six cylinder version of yours in my shed, it is not mine but it will be used as a standby plant for the owner. I do have a couple small standby 220 volt units that get used sometimes.

Your one should just about boil the jug for the morning cuppa

Merv.

Rodalco

Registered
Do the motors run on 400-460 volts without changes or do you have to change taps around?
The 400 Volt motors are usually 3Ø motors.

The 460 Volts motors are 1Ø motors with Cap start for small waterpumps in very remote areas'

Hi Merv, thanks for the welcome. I am learning a lot from this great forum too. I bought the Lister generator to get three phase for some electrical experiments for YouTube video's.
My wife has been asking me many times to get a generator set, just in case for standby as more freak weather events seems happening.
On last April storm some people had no power for 2 weeks in the greater Auckland area.
We lost power for about 5 hours.
You should get that 6 cylinder gen-set up and running, even with a loose plug in lead for a dedicated supply.