• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lister ST"W" vs SL

stevo42

Registered
Greetings. I have a Lister SL1 and SL2 running gen sets and my question is, would a ST2 (raw water cooled) Lister be of any value as a "parts engine"?
The ST was in a friends boat and apparently running good as he used to crank start it then one cylinder quit firing and his mechanic thought it was a valve problem. He offered the engine to me after replacing it with a Kubota. So I'm wondering if its worth hauling away. Thoughts? Thanks, Steve

moteurdelco

Registered
i think nothing is interchangeable between ST2 and SL2.The injectors are differents;pistons,valves,crankshaft,connecting rods,oil pump,injection pump plunger,etc ,are bigger on ST. Exception of ''priming pump'';and maybe push rods...

but you can repair the stw2 and install it on your generator;radiator needed .

K-Tron

Registered
In short, no Lister is worth scrapping. Lister built some of the nicest, most reliable and efficient small air cooled diesels this world has ever seen. I am curious about this watercooled ST2, that is one I havent seen before. Do you have any pictures? Most "mechanics" are probably not familiar with these old engines. It could be something as simple as a decompression lever stuck in one position. It reminds me of a one cylinder Deutz I picked up a few months ago. It was owned by a diesel mechanic. He had it for 35 years and could not get it to start. I had it in my possession for about forty minutes and had it running. Its all about troubleshooting and knowing where to look. I'd suspect that you can rebuild your Lister without too much trouble. If not, post it for sale on craigslist or ebay. Someone will want it.

Chris

stevo42

Registered
Yes, I agree, it would be a shame to see it not restored. I didn't have any pics as its still in the owners dry garage but it was in a boat and looks shabby on the outside. He'll list it on CL before fall. The guy that looked at it swapped the injectors and still no fire. The owner ordered a gasket set then was quoted something like $200.00 for a valve. Thats when he started to consider a new engine for his boat. I was really hopping it was an SL.