• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Live Steam Links

DAKOTA567

Registered
www.ajreeves.com (British: castings and plans suppliers.)
www.tinypower.com (American: model and full size plans and castings.)
www.stationroadsteam.com (British: used steam driven machines; trains, traction, stationary...etc good prices.)www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk (British: machined loco kits, stationary castings kits.)
www.roundhouse-eng.com (British: small scale[gauge 1] live steam locos.)
www.accucraft.com (American: small scale[gauge 1] live steam locos.)
www.brunell.com (British: great priced castings and plans.)
www.littleengines.com (American: large scale[4 3/4" & 7 1/4" gauge] castings.)
www.railroadsupply.com (American:large scale[4 3/4" & 7 1/4" gauge] castings.)
midwestmodelsteamproducts.com (American: steam accessories, turbo generators, little things.)
www.modelworks-int.com (British: live steam traction engine machined kits.)
www.myhobbystore.com(www.myhobbystore.co.uk) (International: plans for everything from clocks to stationary engines[The harder to find kinds.])
www.colespowermodels.com (American: plans and castings for a CASE traction engine[In two scales.] and stationary engines.)
www.stuartmodels.com (British: castings, machined kits, and ready-to-run stationary engines.)
www.findsminimodelhotbulbengines.dk (Danish: hot bulb IC engines, please note only some are forsale as he does not run a company, but is a fellow hobbyist.)

These links took me a couple years to gather on google and asking around so to save people time I decided to post them. Enjoy :wave:

If a link doesn't work PM me.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

midwestmodelsteamproducts.com does work even though it's not highlighted, that's because it doesn't have "www." in it.

DAKOTA567

Registered
Re: Live steam links.

That link I put brings you to steamtractionworld, so it kinda doesn't matter.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

www.railroadsupply.com is only 7 1/4" and 7 1/2" gauge, sorry for anyone looking for the smaller scale.

DAKOTA567

Registered
Re: Live steam links.

If you know any live steam supplier links, then post them this form is for people looking to get started in this great hobby.

Miner

Registered
This is my first post here so I really hate to be negitive, But I'm one of the people Jason knows about that has had problems with Brunell. I'd quit the hobby before I dealt with them again.

Pete

DAKOTA567

Registered
Thanks, I just looked over their site, it's nice they have good engines (I might buy the marine beam.) and good prices. I know Brunell can be a problem I had to send a dozen emails just to get them to send out the plans I ordered.

DAKOTA567

Registered
Oh yea, I foregot about them, I had one of their flyers when I was filling an application to a steam boat club. (Which some how dissappeared so I need to get another one this summer.) Working together we might just find every steam supplier that has a website.

Miner

Registered
Dakota,
LOL, I still run across new ones all the time. There's still Australia and a huge number we don't know about in Europe.

Pete

DAKOTA567

Registered
Yea, their are still more out there that I foregot the links...:O Britain has the most though. (I think that they never really got out of the steam era, like the LNER railway bought a new steam locomotive for mainline use a few years ago.:eek:) I know one good U.S. one lets see if I can find the link: http://hasbrouck.8m.com none of their engines needs castings, I bought one of their plans and might buy more, they have a couple full sized engines (Which I bought for my plans to build a steam launch.) in their if you read the little box under the photo. Best thing is the fact the prices are so cheap even if you don't make a lot of money you can buy the plans without needing to wait to get money for the materials. That's the biggest thing I disadgree with steam plan suppliers, is that the plans are so much, IT'S JUST PAPER AND INK how much can you possibly charge for that!? Some places I take one look and never go back because they over price the plans. Oh just thought of another link: www.agelessengines.com model plane engines, with one long-stroke stern wheel steam engine.

Miner

Registered
Dakota,
Yeah I know what you mean about costs for plans. Plus to use the M.E. Beam engine for example, These plans have been for sale for at least 40 years yet they STILL contain mistakes.

Pete

DAKOTA567

Registered
I was thinking about buying the M.E. Beam, but then I bought a Grasshoper beam, I never knew the M.E. Beam had a design mistake, something small? I think that plans should stay under $100 unless their was like 50 sheets, I have three plans (All together about $60) : 7.5" gauge logging engine, single cylinder verticle marine, and the Grasshoper Beam; now all I need is a traction engine and a horizontal engine.

Andrew

Miner

Registered
Dakota,
Try http://modeleng.proboards.com click "General Chat", 6th post down, "Errors on Drawings", Go to page 2 first post. Harry, (GWRdriver) the author is I think a member on this forum too. He really knows his stuff. Hope this helps.

Pete