• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Loctite

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Is it just me? - Why do Loctite products ( Stud loc, 404 etc.), come in those stupid little plastic bottles that are top heavy,even when full, and tip over and leak, even with the top done up as tight as possible? Maybe they're smart, it may be a ploy to make you buy more than you use?:O

Scotty 2

Registered
:D:D:D
Oh how I can relate to that. I ended up putting them in a small tin where they couldn't fall over. I also got the big round economy size bottles on some of the products. They tend to fall over less often.
I'm sure the shed gremlins open those lids and push those little bottles of gold over.

Cheers Scott

karragullengine

Registered
Maybe its to help get into awkward areas. Would be interesting to know their reasoning behind it. Never given it any thought, i just keep it on shelf behind a tin so it can't fall.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Never used loctite, don't see any reason why you should use it? if you put things together properly......:shrug:

davob

Registered
Depends on the application Typak. For our old engines and tractors I'd agree with you but when it comes to industrial applications I believe you are wrong. There are numerous instances in the equipment I'm involved with where the OEM manuals state some kind of Loctite product use is required during assembly. These can be components that have high levels of vibration such as rock drills and breakers down to the likes of industrial automatic transmissions where temperature cycles and differing expansion rates of dissimilar materials may cause fasteners to eventually loosen. Just my opinion

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
This is an Australian thread, brings this to mind. My brother worked for the Austoft, now Case-IH dealer when they first imported the harvesters. We were introduced to a product called Araldite, a thick two part epoxy locking compound, mandatory on all bolts during assembly, good stuff.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
Yes and used with the activator when its set its impossible to release without heat..

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
We had these cheap power supplies once, the front panel potentiometer nuts kept working loose..
"put little dab of loctite on them" I told my colleague.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

asw20

Registered
That green stuff is certainly good. Keeps the steering arm studs from coming apart on my International ASW120 (S120 4x4 in the US / Canada). Every front axle I pulled apart was damaged there (under sized for the job).

Jarrod.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
that green version i ran up on was on tork converter bolts, i was working with a combination wrench. the other guy on the other end of the engine had a 1/2" breaker bar and a cheater bar trying to hold things still. he yells out how the blankety blank are you getting that much force on that nut!!???? In other words he was having one hell of a time dealing with the force i was exerting on the nuts with bigger tools on his end! yes sir good s#$t!!!!!

davob

Registered
Tracey T
Sounds similar to the stuff Caterpillar used to sell as a gasket cement. They discontinued it years ago but it was commonly called Cat Green in the trade and sold under part number 5H-2471. Great stuff when you were putting things together, but horrendous when pulling it apart again later on. Had a pressed tin sump on a 3306 Cat once that someone previously had put on with Cat Green on both sides of the gasket. By the time we managed to get it pried it off the block that sump was almost unusable

Tranter

Registered
Had an education by the Henkel rep on this many moons ago..
being Loctite is an anaerobic (meaning it goes off due to the absence of Oxygen) the bottles are actually made out of a semi porous plastic which enables them to "breathe"
as to the shape, they are design to fit in the pockets of toolbags and toolboxes easier... so there you go...very unexciting stuff..

Scotty 2

Registered
There are numerous instances in the equipment I'm involved with where the OEM manuals state some kind of Loctite product use is required during assembly.
Hello all
Does anyone remember the bottle of goop that Holden recommended to be used on head bolts on Holden engines? It was used to seal the bolts etc that screw into the water jackets. I have a bottle here (if I remember where it is. I got to clean up) I still like to use on head bolts that go into water jackets.

Cheers Scott

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
I remember Permatex or something like that. It was in a tooth paste type tube that always leaked too.

karragullengine

Registered
Not sure what that product was but i love loctite 567. Any fuel or water leaks and that stuff stops it in its tracks. It doesn't set hard so easy to remove. I put a thin layer on gaskets for oil and water applications and they never leak. It is great on air compressor and gas fittings too as it can take high pressure and as it doesn't set hard really easy to remove and clean for reuse.