• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Looking for Bore Scope Recommendations

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I’ve been thinking about getting one for quite some time now, and have decided that it’s time.

It will only be used occasionally, for the random inspection. Engine cylinders, inside a wall, inside a water heater, maybe look a short ways into a drain pipe, etc, etc...

So I don’t want to tie up too much money in it, but I don’t want junk either.

What are my options?

What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Keith

How about one of those "Lizard Cams" they keep advertising on t.v.? I think they're $39.95........but wait! If you order now, you'll receive a SECOND Lizard Cam for only a modest additional charge.....................:)

Harbor Freight might offer one also, just can't remember offhand.

BMyrkle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2017
I have this very cheap one I bought from Amazon that works with my Android phone. I thought I'd buy a basic one first and see how much I actually used it, and honestly, I have been very happy with it. I might upgrade sometime, but this one has done everything I've asked of it so far.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I saw one on TV a few weeks ago and it was a small device probably a little bigger than a AAA battery. You could attach it to a wire, yardstick, tape measure, whatever and stick it in a hole, cylinder, pipe or similar. The picture was blue toothed to your smart phone and the app you used allowed you to zoom, turn on a light and so on. I don't know how much distance from the phone it would work, probably a few feet (8 maybe?). It would be a very neat and handy item to have. I have no idea what company had it and don't remember the cost.

cobbadog

Registered
I bought a cheapie off FleaBay when I was looking inside the fuel tank on the David Brown. It was only just a good one and has room for improvement. I had an issue with focus and guiding it to areas where I wanted it to go. Also tried taping the cam head to a length of fence wire to make it easy to guide, that worked but images were average at best but the built in led lights were good. I bought this to suit my Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 and I had trouble finding one to suit my model phone. So make sure when buying one that it will work with your model phone.
It gets me out of trouble but one day I will possibly update the camera but maybe not until this phone poops itself.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yeah, I’m leery of buying things that depend on a smartphone, since those don’t last. I had in mind something that has it’s own display. Will have to start cruising eBay and Amazon. Maybe see what Hazard Fraught Tools has to offer.

Keith

SoCal Dave

Registered
This topic comes up every few years on one of the home built aircraft forums I frequent. Many there simply recommend the cheap Chinese camera versions with USB cords that plug into your phone. They then attach the camera head to a coat hanger wire and fish the assembly into a spark plug hole. User experience feedback says this approach is OK, but not the greatest in field use.

The aviation AP guys that do this for a living are all recommending the Ablescope for engine inspections.
https://www.oasisscientific.com/vividia-va-400-rigid-usb-articulating-borescope-videoscope-inspection-camera.html
Mfg list price is $250 USD. (ouch)

Interesting...Ebay lists the VA400 Ablescope for the same price as from the manufacturer...$250.00 USD, so no relief there.

Amazon has it at $199 USD. https://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Ablescope-VA-400-Borescope-Articulating/dp/B00GY7C9ZW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=va400&qid=1579977549&sr=8-1

FYI, Oasis looks to have several models available that are MUCH more expensive ($1000.00+) than this model ($250.00)
Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with any of these devices. This is the executive summary from another forum with aircraft engineering/engine/mechanic type guys that speak the same language as we do...and have the same concerns about engine health.

I do know that HD and Lowes carry the 100 dollar range cameras with built in displays if you just need a general inspection camera and not an engine borescope. Again, have no experience with them other than I see them when I am there.

Last edited: