• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Looking for FL/GA Machinist

The Steam Doc

Registered
Any fellow machinist in north east Florida or south east Georgia? Looking to befriend some and learn more about the hobby. I own a lathe and no nothing. I'm not a book learner

cobbadog

Registered
May I suggest that while you are waiting for a reply that you watch some YouTube videos. They have helped me out immensely and then when it wasn't explained or demonstrated on the video I came back here and asked the question and got the replies I needed. Like so many things it is a case of practise and more practise. Start with the simplest of exercises and slowly as you become slightly more confident than try some else. Practise safety at all times, stay safe and most of enjoy learning new skills.

kwfiggatt

Registered
May I suggest that while you are waiting for a reply that you watch some YouTube videos. They have helped me out immensely and then when it wasn't explained or demonstrated on the video I came back here and asked the question and got the replies I needed. Like so many things it is a case of practise and more practise. Start with the simplest of exercises and slowly as you become slightly more confident than try some else. Practise safety at all times, stay safe and most of enjoy learning new skills.
Keith Rucker (vintagemachinery.org) and Abom79 (Adam Booth) are both excellent Youtube machinists and are both in south Ga and Pensacola, FL. Check them out!

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Check out mrpete222 on YouTube. He is a former shop teacher and has over 100 videos on there, many showing the very basics of machine shop procedures. There are many others offering guidance on there. Safety first. The thing that was drilled into my head continuously in high school shop class was "Always remember to remove the chuck key from the chuck" lol

cobbadog

Registered
And it still applies over 50 years later. Remove the chuck key from the lathe and drill press. I don't let go of it once I pick it up just for that reason. The idea must work as I haven't left one in the chuck ever and hopefully never do.

DKamp

Registered
I walk into my company shop on any given day of the week, and 50% of the time, there'll be a key in the chuck. @#$%% idiots... someone will lose an eye one of these days... :headbang:

cobbadog

Registered
A mate showed me a chuck key that you cannot leave in the chuck. It has a spring loaded cover over the square shaped key and when you let the handle go it pops up and will fall onto the lathe. that will solve that issue.